Chapter 58

So far it's been a regular day at Beacon Hills High. Less that 3 days till Homecoming. And I have still not been asked.

Walking to my locker after 4th period with Reid, I was about to put in my combination when the ground shook. Earthquake? I wouldn't expect anything less because Beacon Hills was right next to the San Andreas Fault time. But this seemed different. As the hallway shook, students fell to the ground. I myself struggled to get to my feet and push myself through the administration doors and into the school courtyard. Reid immediately pulled me to my feet and guided me to the front doors.

With his demon powers, he could stable himself. At this moment, his eyes turned black and he helped other students get outside as well trying to hide his eyes from anyone who might see.

Once outside my eyes searched the crowd of panicked students for Ava, Drake or Noah. Seeing Drake stumble carelessly out of another pair of doors with Ava. I try to move myself over to them with the help of Reid who holds me steady.

"Have you seen Noah?" Ava yells over the screaming and scattering teens.

"No!" I yell back.

Reid hands me over to Drake, who holds me steadily tight around the waist while his other arm gripping a pole. Ava does the same but Reid stands straight up without any help due to his powers.

"Reid!" Drake exclaims.

As if knowing what he is about to say, Reid acts.

"Right! I'll find Noah!" Reid nods and runs into the crowd of stumbling and clutz people in the courtyard to look for Noah.

Then we hear a scream. Drake, Ava, and I slowly make our way towards the sound where the scream from. Pushing through people, we fall to the ground. To annoyed to get back to our feet, we crawl. A group of agitated people in the parking lot were yelling at each other, pointing at the ground, and backing away.

Walking on wobbly legs, a sophomore fell against the side of his Buick sedan, fumbled for his keys, then gave up and hustled out of the parking lot. A few students dashed toward their cars while others simply followed the sophomore's lead.

"What's going on?"Drake distressed.

Then we saw a teacher approach, struggling to keep on his feet.

"Get back!" he yelled. "Get back while you can!"

After that frantic warning, the teacher continued his retreat.

When we finally came in view of the parking lot, we saw a sinkhole.

The ground was falling at an alarming rate, from the center of the parking lot outward, the blacktop was crumbling like burnt toast.

The cars that lined up were being tilted backward as the wheels lost their support. A metallic-blue Nissan Murano was the first to fall. It landed with a resounding crash, shattering the back and side windows. A silver Dodge Durango followed soon after, slamming into the Nissan with a concussive thump and a protesting screech of metal. Alarms wailed.

I felt myself twist around to see most of the everything behind me was clear. Suddenly lurching backward, I got to my weak feet.

A few moments later, we were sprinting towards the site of chaos.

Some of the students that fled the school or abandoned their cars in the unstable parking lot stood on the shoulder of the road, staring in disbelief at the ongoing devastation. Ava, Drake, and I shouldered past the line of gawkers, repeating "Get away from the sinkhole" until we reached the parking lot.

A few nodded, others grumbled, but they all backed up.

From the edge of the parking lot, Ava looked down into the sinkhole. A few cars parked on either side of the lot were within a few brittle blacktop inches away from falling into the hole, but what concerned me more were the two people standing at the entrance of the school. Trapped with no way out. A Junior girl, with a panic-stricken look on her face, strained to pull away from her wiry boyfriend wearing a green polyester shirt. The teenager had a firm grip on her upper arm to keep her from running headlong into the pit.