Chapter 25

When I wake up, at first I feel around my surrounding, touching the dashboard as blind for a moment. I blink multiple times to steady my vision. Once, I do, I notice Chris not paying attention to my embarrassing clumsiness but his eye fixed on the road, thinking. When he turns noticing that I am awake, I turn the opposite to hide the stares I give him. It's pitch black dark outside the window and it seems that we've been driving for around 6 to 8 hours. Why is he helping me? Does it have something to do with his daughter, Allison? Or is it his history with the pack and my father? I fiddle with a knife in my hands, chipping the first silver layer on it, nervous and stir-crazy.

Trying to be polite, Chris speaks up politely, "So, still having trouble remembering how you ended up all the way in Mexico?"

"Well," I think for a moment going over what I had dreamt, "Don't know exactly why I am in Mexico but I know how I ended up in the middle of the desert." I pause, brushing flakes of metal of metal off my lap. "Scott told me to find a woman named Araya Calavera." I watch as Chris shivers to the name, "You know her?" I say wondering and gazing at his disturbed face.

"Yea," he says quickly, "the Calaveras have been rivals to the Argents for over centuries. If Scott trusts them enough to put you in their hands, it must be for a pretty important reason." I feel a bit of anger fluster over me thinking that he thinks I can't take of myself.

"Well, when I had finally found her, she said she could take me to La Puerta," I pause remembering the careless concern Araya had for her men who were being attacked by Deasius, "and on our way, we were attacked."

Chris seems interested now, "By who?" he wonders curiously.

"By a creature who took my parents," and I see Chris's immediate regret for asking the question because of the tone I give him, "his name is Deasius." Chris looks confused so he probably haven't heard of him before. "He must've followed me to Mexico b-because..." I hesitate for a moment with my words, " he wants me dead."

Chris seems to jump a little and notices tears welling a little in my eyes. I immediately wipe my eyes trying to show no weakness.

It's quiet and Chris goes to staring at the dirt, uneven road ahead of us. I just look out the window, making observations about how the landscape is. I realize that the once powered sand has now hardened and had cracked. Suddenly, I notice the crack getting bigger and bigger to the point where Chris's car can fall down one.

"Uh, Chris?" I say concerned. Chris just stares blankly at the road in front of us, frozen and eyeballing. Then I start squinting into the distance and see a cliff that was straight for. Now I am becoming louder, "Chris?" moments pass and were getting closer and closer the cliff drop in front of us. "CHRIS!" I yell as loud as I can. He snaps out of his trance and presses on the brakes, nearly sending me through the windshield if not for my seat belt. Chris angerly gets out slamming the door behind him and drops to the slightly cracked dirt ground on his knees.I instantly unbuckle myself and open the door, whipping around the car and kneeling next Chris who trembles and clenches his hands.

"Are you ok?" I say calm and relaxed as if no danger is near, but it is not until I glance to in front of the car where a cliff drop is only less than 100 feet. Chris reaches for his chest and grips his shirt. Heart-attack. Then he leans back and breathes slow trying to steady his heart rate. I dare not to ask or have a concern because that usually alarms people and the last thing Chris needs is alarm. "I will drive the rest of the way."

He gets up slowly and I direct him to the shotgun seat, "Thanks, " he searches for the right word, "Allison." He pulls himself up on the seat and relaxes his head of the head rest. I walk slowly around to the front of the car to find a way to cross the 1,000 feet gorge. I look down to see how deep it is with nothing but the headlights of the car, to not be able to even see the bottom. Then seeing to the right of me, a point where the gorge grows near each side, enough to barely make it over without plummeting down to the jagged rocked bottom. Heading for the driver's side I get, pulling the emergency brake off and putting the car in reverse.

I turn the car slowly that I down accidently trigger I weak spot in the ground and slip into the gorge. Chris tries very hard to keep himself awake but it doesn't seem to work because the moment I cross to the other side of the gorge, he's dead asleep. Later on in the night the dirt road toys me because every once in a while I seem to decide whether I am dreaming our not. But as I look at the road I start to see memories flash by as engravements in the sand. The memories must be the missing ones to how and why I am in Mexico. Many of them show Ava and I walking the streets of a Mexican town, observing our surroundings, trying to find someone. Another engravement shows me talking to Malia back in Beacon Hills. She tells me that Liam, Derek, Jordan, and Hayden have tracked the breachers to La Puerta and haven't contacted us since. She also tells me that she and Scott have assumed that something had happened to them, so Brett, her and Scott plan to go and find them. She says if they do not return them something bad has happened. Then there's another memory I see that fits every piece together. After walking in the streets for a long time, Ava tells me that she going to head back to our apartment where Drake is and get some sleep. But for some reason, I don't go back with her, instead, I keep looking for someone. Then my eyes see Scott, he is sitting outside a restaurant, with fruit, chips, and salsa in front of him.

"Scott?!" I ask him excited to see him, "What happened--"

He interrupts me putting a hand up, "Allison," his hand reaches for my shoulders, "I am not here, the power of the banshee is allowing you to see me."

I start to tear up confused, "What do you mean, I-I don't understand?"

He lifts his hand up and off my shoulder, "Find Araya Cavalera, ask her to take you to La Puerta."

"W-why?" I say hesitantly at the sight of the seriousness he gives off.

"Don't tell anyone." and now I am back to square one. It's where I started in my dream. Confused and worried for my pack's sake.

Directing my attention to the road, morning breaks.