Chapter 59

As the yellow blur of the Mini Cooper fell toward me, I clutched the five-year-old boy against my chest and flattened my chest against the driver's door of the Chevy conversion.

"Hold on!" I said into Chris's ear.

The Mini Cooper slammed into the partially submerged Camry with a booming crash of metal, and a popping crunch of breaking safety glass. The yellow car's roof missed me and Chris by less than a yard.

Chris's sister screamed and the boy started to cry again.

"Chris, can you hang on my neck?" I acknowledged before Chris nodded. "Good."

I then shifted Chris to my back, with his small arms wrapped around my neck. But a part of me didn't trust the boy's ability to hang on as I climbed, so I kept my left hand clamped over the boys' fists. I scrambled up the steep slope high enough to climb onto the side of the Mini Cooper.

The small car's undercarriage has sunk into the side of the sinkhole facing the front of the school, so I jumped onto the slope, with an awkward three-point landing. My shoes immediately began to sink into the soft earth and my free hand couldn't find any reliable purchase.

I did realize two things at that moment: No way I was climbing out of this sinkhole unassisted and that this side of the sinkhole was going to collapse in the 5 minutes.

Searching the crowd of people above me, I looked for Ava. Once she came into view, I tried my best to project my voice to her without causing Chris to let go of me.

"Find a rope!" I yelled.

She nodded in understanding and left my view of her.

Moments later she returned with a long rope. I felt wet gravel sinking into my socks. This side of the sinkhole wasn't going to hold Chris and me much longer.

Tossing the rope over the edge of the sinkhole, Ava called to Drake. Soon he too came into view and helped Ava get a good grip on the rope. I could already see their eyes glowing golden yellow to hoist Chris and I up.

First, tying Chris to the rope, I weaved the itching rope between his pants and belt, then over his shoulders. He wept for his survival.

"Chris," I said placing my hand on his trembling shoulder, "I'll get you out of here. I promise."

With those words it made me think of Chris Argent. The man I let down. The man I did not save.

But I wasn't going to do that same thing for the boy. He was getting out of here. Even if I have to sacrifice myself in doing so.

Soon, I had secured myself with the rope and called to Ava and Drake. In no time, we were being pulled up and out of the collapsing sinkhole. The 5-year-old boy continued to cry. His fear being fueled by the constant shaking and falling debris. I held him tightly in my arms to ease his fear and shield him from falling debris. I even got hit a few times on our way up. Glass from a red sports car tore through my upper arm. I winced in pain but continued to shield the boy.

Once we got close enough to the top, I reached for Drake with my torn up arm due to holding Chris tightly with the other. The moment my feet hit the asphalt, the boy scrambled from my grasp and ran for his sister. They embrace with a hug and I felt myself smile. I felt good. Well, besides the cut of course.

Officials from the Beacon Hills Police Department started to arrive and we were told to clear the area.

I was just glad I parked my father's car where the sinkhole didn't form. Still, have a piece of him with me.

We found Reid and he said that he didn't find Noah. Ava immediately thought the worse. But, Reid was quick about resolving such a thought. Drake, Ava, and Reid deciding to look for Noah while I headed home. I figured if I told Scott, I could get him to help. Also, he would've seen it on the news by now and wonder if I am okay. Wouldn't want to worry him.

***********************************************************************

Bursting, through my front doors. Scott and Issac immediately stood up from the couch to see my presence. As expected, they were watching the live news.

"The cause of this sinkhole is uncertain. Experts say it was just a result of the recent San Andreas Fault activity. Fortunately, no one was killed in this unknown event. But many injured citizens are being rushed to the Beacon Hills Hospital." A local news reporter assured before Scott clicked the television off.

"Good. You're okay." Scott relieved and embraced me with a hug.

His fingers run through my hair as Issac approaches from behind.

"Your arm?" Issac stated while pointing at the cut on my upper arm.

"Oh," I say startled and head for the kitchen to get bandage wrap, "It's just a cut from debris at the sinkhole."

Hurrying myself to the kitchen, I open an emergency medical cabinet above the fridge. Leaning on my toes, I swipe a bandage wrap from inside the cabinet.

Issac and Scott's eyes follow my movements as I hold the end of the wrap in my mouth and the other wrapping around the part of the arm with the cut. Then using my teeth to rip the access tape. I hiss in pain from the necessary pressure put on the large cut.

Inhale sharply, I rest my good arm on the cold counter.

"Noah's missing," I reveal.

Issac's the first to react as he stands up straight.

"What!" he worriedly tries to clarify.

"Yeah. He disappeared during all the chaos at the High School. Ava, Drake, and Reid are looking for him right now. Ava said she called Derek who's going to check the hospital to see if he was brought in there." I thoroughly answer. "I was going to check the woods. Do you guys wanna come with me there."

"Yeah. Good idea." Scott compliments. "Will take my truck."

I nod in agreement and all three of us set out to find Noah in the woods.