Chapter 33

I sit on the cold metal bench, tying my cleats on the grass. Drake sits next to me and oddly, he shivers. I finish tying my shoes and lay my hand over his. Then I hear grunting come from the field. It's the Devenport team, and their warming up for the game. Then I look over to the goal and Ava talks to Coach. She rolls her eye at him every once in a while but listens intensively to what has to say.

"Talbot!" a man yells as he walks over to us with a Devenport t-shirt on, "Your Brett Talbot's kid, yeah?" I soon notice the man has an Australian accent to his voice.

"Yes, that's me, sir," Drake says formally getting up from the bench to face the man.

"I was your father's coach, Vince Richards" he holds his hand out to shake, "he's was an excellent player on my team, y'know mate?"

"I am aware," Drake replies humbly shaking his hand back. I start to stand up next to Drake to better comfort him.

"Well, I expect your best from this game, yeah?" Vince says with a proud and esteemed attitude. I rub Drake's shoulder politely to tell him that we need to take the field. He says his respects to Vince and heads out to the field with me by his side. Whipping my helmet on, I look towards the stands. My eyes scroll the standstill they meet Scott's. He sits between Chris and Noah, who weres a full blown jacket. Chris wears a brown v neck long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. I can't see what he's wearing on the lower body, but who cares. Scott wears a loose leather jacket, as usually, and light brown t-shirt under it. I can notice the shine his hair gives off from the lights, so he must've put a little gel on. I turn my attention towards the field. The team starts to gather up and Ried Yates, who's the captain, speaks up.

"Ok ladies!" Reid smirks at Ava and me, as Ava then glanced at me with an amused smile, "I don't want to see our asses getting kicked from Talbot's daddy' s pretty fancy prep school." I look to Drake who's two guys down from me and he smiles, laughing a little. "And hey, Greenburg twins!" Reid says with a stiff humor voice, "Make sure Miss. Dunbar doesn't get hit too bad." I watch as Ava glares at him.

Reid and Ava dated for a short time freshman year. Their relationship lasted for about a week and ended with Reid having a bloody nose and black eye. The Greenburg twins glance at her then one another. Eli smirks, showing his dimples, as his twin brother Peyton punches him hard in the shoulders. I heard rumors that their dad named them after the NFL stars, Eli and Peyton Manning. Scott always said that they both reminded him of Ethan and Aiden. But Ethan left the pack when his brother died from an Oni, who was ordered by Void to kill him. The funny thing is that, ironically, Void was like an exact copy of my father.

"Ok Cyclones. Let's beat the shit out of 'em!" Reid yells as we count to three and grunt.

The game starts and I stand front line attacker with Drake and Reid. Then Midfielders. Following are the Defenders, Eli, and Peyton. Finally, Ava, the goalie. As Reid walks over to the center circle to face off, Drake and I exchange glances as we paranoidly shift our cleats in the grass, trying to tell ourselves not to cross the midfield line. We both are in a stance on the edge of the wing area. Devenport's goal is around 40- 50 yards away from where I stand and I estimate if I were to pull a slider through the defense, I could get a shot. But Devenport's defenders look fairly big. Could I be slick enough to take a risky chance to slip between them? I quickly look back at Ava who doesn't see me look at her. Probably too focused on the game. Devenport's is our #1 rivals and we cannot afford to lose. If we do, we will probably receive shame from the school and the scariest thing of all. An intended lacrosse lecture from Coach but only has to do with his personal life. Even though it's amusing to watch Coach throw a tantrum at the Greenburg twins for not taking him seriously. I don't think I can walk around the school while everyone shamefully glares at our team. Suddenly the whistle blows. Reid fights back at the opposing captain for the ball but fails. I watch helplessly as the opposing captain cradles the ball towards the goal. First, Peyton laughs himself at him but misses and tumbles to the ground. I can already hear Coach screaming at him to get up. Then, Eli attempts to use his long stick to whack the captain's stick and it falls to the ground with the ball rolling out of it slowly. One of our midfielders scoops it up and passes it to Drake from the right side. I stay parallel with Drake while running down the field to about till we are 30 yards away from the midfield line. Drake turns and jukes his way around the left side defender. He's about ready to either pass the ball or go for a shoot when the second defender pummels him to the ground. The ref blows the whistle and I start for Drake. He gets to his feet and brushed grass off his lower legs. Grass stains have now formed and I already notice Drake's face burning up in anger. He hits the ground hard with his cleat and gives the second defender a scowling deadly glare. He's about ready to lash out at the guy when I stop him.

"He's not worth it," I mumble to Drake, putting my hand on his shoulder. Apparently, the defender heard what I said and decides to piss Drake off.

"Yeah, listen to the girl!" he snaps. Oh no. This can't be good. Drake whips off his helmet, and violently throws it to the ground and darts towards the guy. The defender smiles at Drake as he walks over with anger fluttering through his face. Before Drake can throw a punch, Reid steps in, holding up his hands. Drake and the defender step away from each other and Reid puts a hand on Drake.

"Don't start a fight on the field. You'll be kicked out of the game." Reid demands. Drake rolls his eyes and pulls away from Reid's hand. The moment Drake turns around, his eyes meet mine. No emotion, just a plain face. His brown hair waves a little with the wind and his eyes show no sign of any emotion. I start forward to him, with a notice something on his jersey. Drake changes his expressionless face when he sees my sudden blank face. He looks down at his shirt and sees a scarlet bloody hand print. He looks back up at me, his eyebrows narrow. I see his lips mouth something .

'Reid'.