Chapter 54

I could hear the werewolf getting closer and closer towards me as I sprint through the woods. Pulling my jacket hood over my head, rain falls all around me. Breathing hard, I could see my own breath. I struggle to keep myself moving with no help of the mud beneath my boots.

Deciding that I couldn't go any farther. I jump behind a damp tree. It's raining hard. Taking in sharp breaths, I hear the werewolf passing by. Didn't seem to see me behind the tree out of his range. Then lifting up my jacket, I see the deep cut slash from my neck to my torso. I wince in pain. Deciding to keep moving, I push myself to my feet and change direction to through it off my trail. I could hear him howling his position to the others. They were closing in on me. I sprint fast through the woods hearing the wet leaves below my feet crush. Then in my line of view, I saw one fully transformed into a wolf charge at me. Fortunately, a hanging tree branch separated us. While the wolf jumped over the branch, expecting to contact me with his claws. I slid under. Swiftly, darting away. I grab my kunai from my belt. I throw it at the wolf's thigh. It stopped in its tracks and fell to the ground, transforming back into human and pouting in pain. It growled back at me with its blue eyes glowing brightly. Then out of the fog behind it, the rest of its pack emerged and continued to dart after me. I ran hard, trying to ignore the pain from my side. I passed trees, trying to keep an eye on my surroundings.

Suddenly, from the corner of my view, I notice a wolf jump at me. Sending the both of us down a steep hill. Tossing and turning around, the wolf breaks most of my fall as we hit rocks and fairly pointy twigs. I grunt every time I land on my side. My vision turns around, trying to adjust to the constant falling and tumbling. The wolf not seeming to care to get out this alive. Doggy paddles his claws at me as we tumble. Then switching over my knife from my gloves. I turn it around to stab it in the chest. I watch as the lights go out in his eyes. It moans and dies. The dead wolf then hits a tree and stops falling down the hill. On the other hand, I was still tumbling till I reached the bottom. I got up quickly, hearing the howls of nearing wolves. Swaying around, I struggled to regain balance.

Sprinting towards the sound of cars. I push myself to run faster, hoping to catch a passing car. While running, I squint my eyes at the light the peers the trees, lining the edge of the forest. The sound of tires get louder and louder as the sound of prowling and growling wolves behind me get closer and closer. As I darted to the edge, my feet grow tired. But I kept on pushing. Emerging from the line of trees. I exit the woods. As I achingly dart into the middle of the street to stop an approaching car. I put out my trembling my hand to signal 'stop'. The last thing I see is racing tail lights hit my face.

Waking up from under my sheets in my bedroom. I pant hard. Sweat runs down my face and I pull up my bed shirt. No werewolf cut.

It was just a dream.

Then hearing a creaky foot step a dark corner of the room. A shadow falls on my tile floor.

"Hello?" I whisper, my voice cracking.

Expecting a response, it stays quiet. Cautiously, getting out from under my covers. I shiver as my feet touch the cold ground lit with moonlight.

"Is anyone there?" I quietly question.

But still quiet. Hoping that whoever it watching me from the shadow doesn't see. I secretly reach for the knife from under my pillow. I hold it behind my back and curiously start for the figure in the darkness.

Seeing the precautions I am taking, it finally reveals itself.

My mother.

"Mom?" I wonder tucking away my kunai in my joggers in relief.

However, when I step toward her, she steps partly back. Half in the darkness where I can only see half of her face.

"What's wrong?" I wonder in worry.

"I am not really here," Lydia remarks with sadness.

"I know," I admit, "just tell me where you and dad are. I-I can find you. We can be a family, again. You, me, dad, and Scott. We both miss you and dad."

I could see her shed a tear.

"Please tell me," I question, raising my voice ever so slightly.

"Soon." she says wiping her falling tear and then disappearing.

I dart hoping to catch her. But she's gone. Long gone.

I sniffle up my tears and drop to my knees. Remembering the night Chris died. The last words he told me.

' "Promise me one thing," Chris said struggling to keep conscience-ness.

"Of course," I sobbed.

"Never give up on finding your parents. There out there. Somewhere." Chris said with his last breath. '

He had died in my arms. I could've saved him. But I cannot save those who don't want to be saved. He's in a better place with his wife, Victoria, and daughter, Allison Argent.

Telling myself to suck up and keep hope. I get to my feet and make my way to my bed. Slowly hoping and snuggling myself under the warm covers. I drift my eyes close and sleep.