Chapter 60

I am now realizing this now but, Scott's car was the car that Issac was driving in my dream. Seems the dreams I've been getting, adding onto one another every time I shut my eyes, for the past week, are becoming truer.

Piling out of the passenger's side, I slam the old, rustic truck door shut. From the corner of my eye, I watch as Issac trips his way out of the car and brushes of his jeans. I feel myself snicker a little when he turns back to glare at the harmless truck.

Speeding my way into the woods, Issac and Scott struggle to keep up with me.

"Wait. AIlison, wait!" Scott yells as he rushes himself to look for his keys and lock his car.

I decided to waste no time to try and find Noah. I sure hope he's okay.

But, my anxiety took over me as I push through low hanging branches that got in my way. Waving them away, I trudged through the woods. Suddenly, I felt as if there was no ground below my leading foot. Glancing at the ground before me, I felt myself start to fall in the sinkhole. Without warning, Scott grabs my shoulder and pulls me from the edge.

I stare wondrously down the void. Placing my hand over my heart in the effort of stopping my beating heart from popping straight out of my chest. Sweat slides down my flustered and blushing face.

Then I realize that something wrong. My heart.

"Allison!" Scott exclaims as I release myself from his grasp and fall to my knees.

Issac worriedly says something to Scott, but I am too focused on clenching my chest. As if I am trying to rip my heart.

Is this a panic attack? No, it can't be. This is no panic attack. It's something worse.

Glancing, up from where I kneel, I stare at the bottomless sinkhole. Then looking over to the side of the pit, I notice the half part of a large tree stump was ripped from the ground and fallen to the sinkhole.

"The Nemeton. I-It's gone." I manage to peep out.

In a muffled background, I hear faint scrambling feet come towards me from close. Then realizing it's Scott who brings me to my feet. I can't help put keep my balance.

For some reason, a part of me is gone. Could the Nemeton being obliterated have caused this?

"Allison!" Scott calls as I fall back out of his grasp and onto the ground.

I could hear their calls fading away as my world morphs into something different.

***

Jolting my eyes awake, I realize it's night time. The first things I see are the stars and full moon. As I attempt to get up and into a sitting position, I notice that I am in the woods. My hair sticking to whatever I lay on and trickling onto my neck. My feet spread in front of me as I examine my surroundings. Then I feel my hands stroking the object was resting on.

The Nemeton.

My fingers glide across the rings of years the tree stump has been around. Years of knowledge and power.

Then everything comes back to me.

I was trying to find Noah. Scott and Issac were helping me. Where are they?

My eyes wonder the pitch black woods away from the safeguard of the Nemeton.

"Allison." I soft voice says as a silhouette figure emerges from the shadows.

My mother.

"Mom?" I respond with a warm smile as I scurry of the stump to run to her brace.

But when my bare feet touch the ground, the leaves burn and cripple into nothing. With each cautious step I take, I leave a trail of burning footsteps behind me.

Examining my forming hair into fire and burning hands, I look at my mother for answers.

"W-what's happening to me?" I wonder with a frown and boiling tears that fall out of my glowing sunset colored eyes.

"Don't be afraid my dear child," she spoke assuringly and calm as if there was no danger, "there is nothing to fear."

Now completely out of the shadows, I realize how beautiful she is. Her strawberry-blonde hair flowing in the growing wind. Her scarlet lips and perfect hazel eyes. Wearing a beautiful long red dress trailing behind her. Taking confident strides barefoot towards me. I can't help but stand back. What if I hurt her?

Reaching out her hand to stroke my cheek. I resist.

"What if I hurt you?" I cry.

"Oh, honey," she says with a warm smile and eyes twinkling with the night, "you won't hurt me."

But what if... I shake my head 'no'. Of course, she doesn't listen. To scared to watch her burn. I clench my eyes close. Soon I feel soft skin again my trembling cheek.

Slowly opening my eyes, I meet her gaze.

She leans in close to whisper into my ear. But instead of an inspiring quote, her voice becomes serious and frightened.

"The end is near."

***

"Allison!" Scott shakes me awake.

"Huh, what?" I wonder as I scratch my head curiously.

When Scott helps me to my feet, my heart drops at the sight. All around me is burning and crippled into ash.

In a perfect circle, too perfect. And on the edge of the circle stands Issac. Almost to scared to step onto the burned leaves and grass.

But I know that's not why he doesn't want the step into the circle. He's afraid of me. I'm afraid of me.

Soon, Scott breaks my curious stare at Issac and turns me towards his attention.

"Allison," he demands caringly, "What just happened?"

There's a long pause as I try to collect myself and figure out what happened. What did happen?

Scott was looking for answers that I just could not give him.

"Allison," Scott says gently grabbing my shoulder, "please tell me."

There's another long pause as I search through my thoughts. My hands draped on my lap harmlessly.

"I think I know where Noah is."