Chapter 27

We reach the churches doors and they've already been broken open. Chris hands glide across the doors outer rim edges and rub his fingers with a silver- purple dust trickling off.

"Mountain Ash," he says snapping at himself. I step backward but notice that the barrier that the ash would make, was broken. Chris enters the church first and I follow behind him, acting cautiously while stepping over the altered mountain ash. The church looks bigger inside than from the outside and every time my boots touch the ground, it echoes through the cathedral. We walk through a middle aisle with rows of benches lining the sides. Turning to the front of the echoed room to see a statue of a lady with a halo, Mary, cracked and ready to collapse to the floor. The walls lined with broken glass skylight pictures. When we get to an altar, there is no floor in front of it. Like something broke through it. Or out. Chris stops in front of it and looks down. I do so too, and it seems to be rarely deep. I kick a brick shard from next to my foot and it falls into the hole. Seconds later, we hear a thud. It's not deep but dark and mysterious. I exchange a fearful look with Chris as I sit on the edge with my feet dangling over. My fingers tap nervously. What will I find down there? Chris doesn't seem to oppose my option to take a leap of faith, unlike Scott. I swing my legs and then my body from the ledge. When I hit the ground, I roll on my bleeding out arm, and I wince and bite my lips to keep myself from screaming. Then Chris boots thud to the ground next to me and pull me to my feet. My eyes try to read the room, but it's dark.

"What is this place?" I whisper, directing my words towards Chris.

"An earthquake bunker," he answers squinting to also read the room. I decided to move my position, and Chris moves in sync with me. Soon I realize the walls are made of cold stone jagged rocks and moss. Vines hang from the ceiling, with moonlight beams streaming onto a narrow hallway. I try to pass through the hallway avoiding the sides. Chris has his hands ready on his gun with two hands. I intensely grip my kunai's ready for something to jump out at us. But nothing happens. The most threating thing at this point is the possibility that with how much the wind is wavering above us, I hope that we don't get trapped down here.

Minutes have passed and the wind picks up more above us and I've become more and more concerned. My hand trembles as I feel it get colder. My feet ache and I shiver periodically. I feel my temperature rise when we see a room at the end with bright moonlight peering through the crevasses of a metal door. As we both approach the door cautiously, the first thing I notice is several bullets holes. We instantly stand on either side of the double doors with hinges closest to us. I watch as Chris hesitantly reaches for the handle. He turns it slowly and I wince at every time it clicks. After three clicks the door creaks open. I notice that the door is heavy because Chris struggles to open it leisurely. He quickly tosses me one of his guns and I hold two in each of my hands, ready the shoot. Chris opens it enough for me to peak through. The moonlight blinds me but I blink a few times to let my eyes adjust. There are wooden boxes that read, "explosivo" on right side back wall of the room, and on the left, they're support beams that keep the ceiling from closing in. But I notice something quite deeper in the room, something bright blue- black.

"Chris," I say trying to put together my thoughts, "there's a breach on the wall." I instantly remember that he has no idea what I am talking about, but I decide to ignore my thoughts.

"What else do you see?" he curiously says.

"Someone's lying beneath it, I-It looks like..." I decide not to finish because I run inside the room carelessly and drop to my knees next to a body. "Scott!" I yell scared, then I look for a pulse. Scott moans. His side is bleeding and it's not healing.

Chris runs and kneels beside me searching his wound, "How long do you think he's been here?" He looks as concerned as I am. "And what's a breach?"

I feel anxiety builds up as I search for an explanation. "It's what those demons came through, to this world." My hands shake as blood stains them while I attempt to put pressure on it. Scott winces and aches. Now that I have a better look at the room, it looks more like a torcher chamber. The blood that scours the walls against the vines that stream down them, scares me. Chris tries to rip his shirt to put pressure on the wound while we move him to someplace less terrifying. But more importantly, safer. But where's the rest of my pack? Are they somewhere else? Or dead? Don't think like that, there probably fine, I think. Chris gestures to me to help bring Scott to his shoulders to carry. Suddenly, Scott wakes up and pushes away from Chris secure hold. He lands back on the floor and stumbles to get up.

"He took them," he says making eyes with me, I notice the terror in his dark brown eyes iris.

"Who took them?" Chris says stepping closer but Scott steps farther back from him, probably too scared and caught up with what he is trying to tell me to bring up why Chris is alive.

"Deasius took the pack," he says expressing his feeling with his hands. His eyes roll back behind his eyelids, enough to show the whites, and drops the floor.

I drop to my knees once more to try to shake him back awake but, I notice that the moon beams on me dissappear and as the full moon dissappears, so does the breach. Stopping us from saving the rest of our pack.