Chapter 52

"Jeez. So many freshmen this year," Ava complained as we both enter through the front doors.

I recalled what she said and examined the hallway. There were, in fact, many freshmen. But the population of seniors, based on their size, was larger. We walked casually down the hallway, and I noticed many of the freshman winking at us. Of course, Ava smirked back. I just rolled my eyes and pushed Ava all the way to our lockers.

"So I have Physics first. Then we have second free with Noah, Drake, and Reid, right?" Ava wondered as she leaned against my neighbor locker, watching me twist in my combination.

"Right," I muttered.

When I fully opened the locker, I grabbed my Calculus book out. Ava notices and she sits up straight.

"Taking Calculus?" she wondered.

"Yeah. Apparently, when I took the SAT last year. I passed with a 98%."

"I got like a 53% on that test." Ava laughed.

I chuckled a little as I stuffed the book into my backpack.

"Drake!" I heard Eli yell.

I whipped my head around to see Noah, Drake, and Reid enter through the front doors as Eli and Peyton try to catch up with them. As they entered the hallway, they walked straight through. Freshmen scampered out of their way due to senior's kind of popularity on campus. Once, Noah and Drake met eye contact with us. They changed their direction.

"Hey," Drake smiled while leaning on the lockers and cutting me off from my own locker.

"Hi," I replied with a smile, blushing.

I watched as Reid came into view and dug his hands into his pockets and stood on his heels. Humming a little tune under his breath.

"So how much was your car worth?" Noah wondered.

"1988 dollars. Scott needed the money to catch up on bills." I remarked.

"So you gave up your car to get the money?" Reid questioned.

"It was either mine or my dad's jeep" I stated.

"Oh." Ava realized how important my dad's jeep is to me.

"But don't worry. I use the jeep now and for some reason..." I take a moment to pause and smile, "it fits."

They all smile as we hear the passing bell ring. Freshman immediately scatters in fear of being late and we just casually walk to our first-period class.

Trailing down the crowded hallway of lockers, I push myself into Calculus. There's a fair amount of kids in here due to the test being extremely hard. But it's worth it. Well, at least to get into an exceptionally good college. Wow. College. Right around the corner. My mom made it into Calculus and then went to Stanford. Could I actually work hard enough to do the same?

"Alright class," our teacher said as she circled around her desk and to the board, "My name is Ms. Freeman and I am your Calculus teacher this year. You all have qualified for this by getting a 90% or higher on your SATs." We all immediately take our seats as she walks around the room to examine us. "I expect complete and total dedication to the challenges that this class will bring. There will be many drop-outs, but know that this class is being watched by many colleges. If you all would like to do something extraordinary with your life. I suggest you stay and work hard this year."

I felt my eyes flicker to across the room where a girl bites on her fingernail, nervously.

"Gwen." Ms. Freeman pointed out.

The girl biting her nails made stood up straight in her seat and answered, "Yes?"

"Do you wanna be in this class?" Ms. Freeman questioned.

Gwen took this long pause to meet the whole classes gazes. The gaze of uncertainty and disbelief.

"Uh..." her voice shuddered as her eye wandered the classroom of students, "I..."

Then she met eyes with me. She stared at me as the teacher spoke up.

"Miss Harvey?" Ms. Freeman wondered, looking for a response.

Gwen continued to stare at me and then she drew attention towards the teacher.

"Sorry, I-I can't," Gwen said shedding a tear and gathering her stuff.

She stood up and darted out the door without saying another word.

"Well, now that we've cleared that. Who else thinks they don't belong in this class." Ms. Freeman declared.

The room stood silent, everyone with their hands in their lap and head down. Trying to avoid contact. Ms. Freeman was in her late 50s and has been teaching at this school for a long time. She clearly doesn't tolerate.

"Okay, let's get started," she states as she pulls out a clipboard.

I listen intently as she calls out the role to make sure no ones late or doesn't belong in the class. I feel my heart race when she gets to 'S' last names.

"Mr. Stewart. You should be in PRE-calculus. Pack your stuff and head for Room 506." Ms. Freeman said directing her voice to a boy sitting directly in front of me.

He blushes in fear and grabs his stuff. His shoulders tense and head out the door. Ms. Freeman rolls her eyes in disappointment and sighs to move on.

"Miss," she stops for a moment to squint at the paper before her eyes, "Stilinski. Do you happen to be Lydia Martin's daughter?" she wonders, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," I answer assuringly.

"Great, I expect a lot from you." she smiles.

I could already feel the sweat run down my face. I don't only have to worry about getting into a good college, but I also have to obtain the performance that my mother gave Ms. Freeman when she was in this class.

'Welcome to senior year' I thought.