I.

"Bitch, if you don't bring yo ass out that damn building!"

Jamie stood in her bedroom, staring at herself in the mirror. Her attire indeed made her look a tad bit older than 17. But that was it, she's only 17.

"Henry," she sighed into the cellphone. "I can't do this."

"Trick, it's not like we going to wild out. I wanna see the band. And we're not gonna get carded or anything. Tony will let us in through the back. We'll be fine." He attempted to convince her.

"You promise?"

"I promise."

Jamie pulled on her hooded trench coat, regretting the agreement to go in the first place. "Okay, I'm coming down."

"Don't forget your bag. Remember you're spending the night at myyy plaaaacccce," he sung before hanging up.

That was the plan. She was staying the night at his place to study for a calculus test, the first one of their senior year. Although it was true, she still managed to leave a few parts out. Like the part about them going to a jazz lounge to catch an act.

Jamie clutched her small duffle bag in her hand before exiting her room.

"Auntie," she called, walking down the hall. She caught site of her little cousin Devin watching TV. Ruffling his nappy hair, she spoke. "I'm about to head out."

"Alright," she yelled from the kitchen. She peered through the bar, catching Jamie just as she reached the door. "Let me know if you need to stay another night. I'm off the whole weekend. I want you back by at least Sunday. D needs his hair braided."

"Okay," Jamie mumbled.

Her auntie squinted her eyes at her, noticing her meekness. Sure she was usually quiet, but something about this moment was very off.

"Jamie," her Aunt Pam called, her face dead panned. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing," Jamie replied. The word lingering on her lips as if she were asking a question.

"Don't go doing some dumb shit," she warned. "You better remember that your mother and I did it all, baby. So whatever you think you're about to do, I'll eventually find out and your ass will be grass. Understand?"

Jamie nodded slowly.

As if she hadn't made the previous statement, she smiled before turning back to the stove. "You can go now."

Jamie tried her best to remain calm. Her throat was as dry as sandpaper and when she gulped she was sure her aunt heard the sound. "Yes, ma'am," she mumbled, briskly heading out the door.

Flopping down into the passenger seat, she turned to Henry. "We can't go."

Henry scrunched up his face. "Bitch, what? We going. My brother is already waiting for us."

Just as he prepared to shift the car into drive, she stopped him. "No, no. We really can't. My aunt knows something's up."

Falling back into his seat, he rolled his eyes as he held his index fingers against his temple. "Jamie, how fucking nervous were you? All you had to do was say bye and walk out."

"I was nervous enough that she picked up on it."

Henry sighed, "Hmph. Well, we're still going. I got my folks to let me take the car and like I said, Tony is waiting. He's holding a table and everything."

"Henry..."

Smacking his lips, he shot back, "Jamie." Jamie sank down into the seat realizing she wouldn't win this battle. "Right..." he continued. "Know damn well we still going. The fuck you thought?"