VII.

The classroom was vacant as always, leaving her to practice as much as possible.

Setting her belongings in the corner she traveled over to the piano. Sitting down on the bench, the door slammed.

"Are you avoiding me?"

After shaking her fist to the heavens, she turned towards him. "Are you really ditching class right now?"

"Ain't like I haven't before," he snapped, stalking over towards her. "Are you mad though?"

"Mad?" She quizzed, looking over his worried expression. She shook her head. "Why would you think that?"

"Oh, thank god!" He flung himself in her arms. Together they fell against the piano, smashing random keys. "I mean, you never said anything after I left. No calls or texts to chew me out. I thought you were that pissed.

"Will you get off of me?" She pushed him lightly. "You're smothering me."

Henry hugged her tighter. "Oh, you know you love it." Jamie began to tickle his sides. "Okay, okay," he laughed, jumping up. "Seriously though, what's happened? He ever hit you back?"

Jamie turned to the keys, as Henry settled beside her. "Yea..."

Laying his head on her shoulder, he watched her play. "Well, what did he say?"

Jamie ignored him, dragging her fingers along the keys. "Nothing."

The sudden creek of the classroom door made them both turn to the culprit. Mr. Nelson.

He glanced at the two seated at the piano as he strut over towards his desk.

Henry turned to his bestie, "I should get going..." Henry stood to his feet. "Talk later," he mumbled as he backed away. "Hi, Mr. Nelson. Bye, Mr. Nelson."

Mr. Nelson gave a small salute in acknowledgement as he fished through a folder.

Jamie sat idly at the piano. Already knowing what she had in mind to play. Don't kid yourself, she told herself.

Whipping her head towards the keys. She fumbled around with her own piece she'd been working on.

Upon hitting the last key, she released a pent up breath. For the first time, she was happy with the way it was played.

"What was that?"

She was absolutely positive he was looking at her, but she couldn't manage to make eye contact. Not after playing that. Not after knowing the inspiration behind it. Not after last night.

"It's mine," she muttered.

"It's beautiful," he replied with sincerity.

Jamie hands fell into her lap, fiddling with her finger nails. "I wrote it last night."

"Last night. Really?" Mr. Nelson joined her at the piano. His eyes roamed over her as she fiddled with the instrument. Her wild mane falling to the side of her face, blocking his view.

"You're beautiful."