XVII.

The sound blaring in her ears, startled her out of her slumber. She snatched the phone from beneath the pillow and placed it against her cheek as she continued to lay.

"Hello," she croaked.

"Morning. How are you feeling?"

It was her Aunt Pam. She could recall speaking to her last night. About what? She was sure it was her level of intoxication, but for the most part, it was a blur.

"I'm okay. I haven't opened my eyes yet. I'm afraid to, my head is already spinning," she pouted. "How long will this last, auntie?"

"Depends. Have you eaten yet?"

As if on cue, she could hear the bedroom door open and feel the weight shift on the bed.

"No, ma'am. I haven't."

"You need to eat," she ordered. "I know Henry's folks are cooking. Joy wakes up early as hell so you should be good. Go eat."

"Okay..."

"Well alright. Remember, 6 o'clock. Or your head is really gonna be spinning." Without a goodbye, her aunt ended the call.

Jamie tossed the phone towards her feet as she buried herself beneath the covers. Just as quickly as they covered her, they were pulled back only for them to be thrown over her again.

The feel of his bare body meshing against her own, made her shiver. "Morning," he cooed in her ear as his arm slithered across her side before running over her stomach.

"Morning," she whispered.

His lips brushed against her neck as he spoke. "How you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess," she mumbled. "You're naked..."

"So are you."

She racked her her brain as to why. Sure, they done this before, but how they came to the now wasn't quite clear. Jamie placed her hand upon his. "What happened last night?"

"You got really drunk. Even though you were denying it," he revealed.

"Did we--"

"No," he answered, pulling her close. "Almost, but no." He kissed her shoulder blade. "You made it difficult, but I couldn't let it go down like that. Not at all."

She brought his hand up to her lips. "Thank you."

"For what, mama?"

"For not, you know," she shrugged in his arms. "And I'm sure I was probably a handful. Mind telling me what happened? I remember bits and pieces."

"How about you tell me what you remember..."

Jamie turned in his hold, coming face to face with the person she grew fond of with each passing day. The same person who seemingly managed to string her along until they got too close, before retreating. She made a mental note to ask about his disappearing act.

"I remember dancing..." she mumbled before biting her lip. "Umm, there was...beer pong. I won," she giggled. "At least, I think I won."