XXI.

December 17, 2004

"Stoooooop!" She screamed as she watched those in the gymnasium revolve around her. "Stop," she yelled a second time as the nausea began to overcome her.

"Say uncle," he roared.

"No," she screamed as she hung over his shoulder.

"You asked for it, girl," he laughed, spinning faster.

"Oh...my...god!" She cried in both laughter and worry. "Uncle!"

Saying what he demanded, it was expected to be freed but he continued. "Nah, baby girl. That ain't gonna cut it. Say Corey is the greatest."

There was no way in hell she was going to say that. She could only bring herself to say the next best thing. "Corey, I think I'm gonna throw u--"

Before she could finish her sentence she was planted on the ground. "You good or nah?"

Jamie stood for a moment to gather herself, letting the spinning room come to a halt.

"Baby girl, you good?" His rough hands lifted her chin. "Jamie..."

Jamie's eyes hung low as she stared back at him. "I'm okay. Give me a minute to..."

With a devious smirk, she darted away from him, dashing across the gymnasium. "You won't get far, baby girl," he hollered. She was certain that he was quicker, so she made no effort to look back as she sped down the deserted corridor, up a flight of stairs, and down another hall.

She bolted to the left, into a familiar room. Relieved to find it empty, she cut the lights and ducked behind the desk.

In the nick of time, as she settled, he walked into the room. "Jamie. Jamie..."

Silence lingered for a few moments before she heard a soft thud, followed by another. The lights flickered on and soon after she heard the clacking of heels. She listened as the sound grew closer and those shiny black Andre No. 1s came into view.

"Can you come from under there now?"

Jamie blushed profusely as she scurried from beneath the confines of the desk. "Sorry," she mumbled as she dust off her jeans. "I didn't think you were still here."

"Yup, I'm still here after school. Have been everyday for the past few weeks," he explained as he collected his belongings. "You'd know that if you came by."

"Sorry," she cradled her arm at her side. "I've been busy."

"You've been busy alright..." He had to catch his growing frustration as he closed his bag. "We haven't even practiced your performance piece. Winter break is starting and when we get back, you'll only have a month to prepare."

For the first time in weeks, he looked at her. Really looked at her. "I just want you to be ready, Jamie. That's all."

"I'll be ready," she assured him. "Don't worry. I got this."

"I'm sure you do. Still never hurts to practice," he murmured. "Do you have any plans over the break?"

"Yeah," she rocked on her heels. "Nothing major, just this Christmas party with family. Possibly doing something with Corey and his family."

"Meeting the family," he sighed. "That's how much time you've been spending with him..."

"Mr. Nels--"