XIX.

Pamela sat in front of the math instructor, her face stiff as stone as she listened to how Jamie had recently failed a math test. She cut her eyes at Jamie, after looking over the exam.

Jamie, sank into the desk, as the two continued to speak. She attempted to determine if she was actually upset over the grade, or more upset that Jamie never made an effort to tell her. Whatever the case may be, Jamie was dead, and she knew it.

"Now, Ms. Johnson, I wouldn't be too upset over this. Jamie, is one of my star students. Even with this grade, she still averages an A. I just felt like this should be brought to your attention, to prevent it from happening again."

Jamie sat there internally yelling at the instructor. If you didn't want to upset her, then why tell her, asshole?!

"Well, thank you for letting me know." Her lips messed into a hard line as she smiled at the instructor.

Pam turned to her niece, motioning for her to get up. "Let's go...."

Jamie scooped up her cousin who'd been running around the classroom with another toddler. "C'mere, D."

Strolling down the hall, Jamie remained silent as she her aunt scanned the list of her teachers. "Where is Nelson's room?"

"This way..." she mumbled, leading her down the hallway. "It's at the end here."

Just as she expected, based upon what she'd heard over the years, his room was filled with students and their parents.

Jamie had to remind herself that P. was once the man that made people go crazy. Shit, he still is.

"Lord, have mercy," Jamie managed to hear her aunt mumble as she entered the room. "That man is still as fine as he was in '93."

Jamie found herself giggling. "What did you just say auntie?" How did I not know this?!

"Girl, be quiet. Prince is talking..."

Devin caught site of Prince and nearly jumped out of Jamie's arms. After P.'s last visit on Monday, Devin adored him now more than ever.

Jamie held him close as he wiggles in her arms. "Dev," she whispered in his ear. "It's our secret. Remember?"

Devin nodded in understanding. "Kay."

After his brief introduction, specifically geared towards the parents of his freshmen class, he'd taken the time to speak to each parent.

Jamie stood on the sidelines with her aunt, waiting for the choas to dwindle down. "You know we can leave auntie. There's not much to discuss."

"Girl, if you don't shut up," she rolled her eyes. "You forgot you on my shit list right now." Jamie remained silent hearing her words. "Right."

Devin stirred once more in her arms. "Tooooyyy." Jamie followed the direction of his finger. He pointed directly at the piano. "Play?"

Jamie looked to her aunt who shooed her away. "Go on."

Jamie sat on the piano bench with Devin in her lap. "Play me something," she commanded the toddler.

Devin stretched his fingers apart as far as he could. It was like watching a movie in slow motion as his hands came down to meet the keys.

And like a record scratching, a painful sound filled the room. Devin beat his hands against the keys with the widest smile on his face. Did she stop him? She would be a fool to. He was having fun and that's all that mattered.