XXXVIII.

Jamie occupied the living room. The sound of the TV filling the space engulfing her, helping her zone out. To drift away to many places she'd rather be than where she currently reside.

The old familiar favorite movie rolled on the screen. The beauty of Clementine and Joel, bashing her in the head. Still no matter how envious she was of these fictional characters' love, she could never stop watching. Somehow, she could visualize those two as she and him.

The she remembered those texts. The thing he swore and here it was, a little after nine. He hadn't sent another text. He hadn't called. He hadn't showed. He was nowhere to be found and she was wallowing in a bed of tears.

"Let it go, kid," she scold herself. "Just let it go." Rubbing away the tears away, she completely forgot about her eye. "Dammit," she groaned as more tears began to flow.

Grabbing the ice pack she'd wrapped in a towel, she brought it to her face as she curled up in the corner of the couch. Just as she got comfortable, the doorbell rang. "Seriously, Henry?"

Jamie sat up from the couch, lugging her feet across the room when the bell rang for a second time. "Chill," she mumbled as she unlocked the door. Pulling it open, she continued. "I hope you brought some dessert this time fool."

    "I don't really think you'll be eating it anyway," Henry shrugged, holding out the bag containing ice cream.

    For a moment, Jamie felt a sting of disappointment. She was certain he'd be at the door instead of Henry. "Yes, I will." She snatched the bag from his grasp, before walking away towards the kitchen. "Hurry up and close the door dude, you're letting the heat out."

    After a few seconds the slight thump of the door closing never came. "Henry, cmon dude," she ordered as she walked back towards the entrance. "Stop playing and bring yo ass," she waved, preparing to walk away again.

"I'm not playing, Jamie." He assured, leaning against the open door. "And neither is he." Still dressed in his clothes from earlier, he appeared on the porch, a somber smile plastered on his face. "He was outside in his car, just down the block." Henry nodded his head for him to step inside.

"How did you?"

"I told you I was coming. Henry, he saw me outside and–"

    "I told him it was safe to come by the house," Henry cut in. "Now don't be a bitch, Jamie."

    Prince stifled a chuckled until he noticed her face, her left eye. He stepped closer to her, cupping her cheek. His thumb slowly running over the bottom of her eye. In turn, she tried her best not to winch. "You should have told me."

Jamie turned away, picking up the container of ice cream and a spoon. "I couldn't," she muttered, leading him into the living room. "And you shouldn't be here."

    "Didn't I say don't be a bitch?" Henry growled, folding his arms. "Now the man is here to see you. Relax and let yourself be seen." Henry began shutting the door. "I'm out."

    "Henry already told me that she wouldn't be back until morning and that Devin is with your grandparents."

    "Still doesn't mean you should be here." Jamie grabbed the remote to the tv, pressing play before digging into the tub of ice cream. "You're playing with fire."

    "Well, maybe if you answered my texts or returned my calls..."

    "And say what exactly?" She replied. "What could you possibly do to fix this situation?"