XLVI.

AN: sorry for typos and shit.

   June 7, 2012 turned into a day she'd never forget. On their final day in Australia, Nova booked a visit to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. There they played with the tiny residents and got to fed a baby koala. Nova snapped away with with her digital camera, capturing Jamie's wide grin.

    "Babe, look at him," Jamie cooed. "I'd take him home with me right now."

    "You forgot all about the baby kangaroos, huh?"

    "They were cute too,"Jamie replied. "But he's cuteness overload."

    "You should take him out of the blanket, I'm sure he'd like to use his arms," Nova giggled.

    As Jamie unwrapped the joey she noticed him clutching something in his hands. "What do you have there buddy?" Jamie slowly pulled the object from its grasp, causing the joey to cling to her chest. Jamie raised the wooden box to Nova.

    "Nov, can you tell them he had this?"

    A zookeeper behind her responded with a bright smile. "Oh, that? That there is for you."

    "Huh?"

    "Open it," Nova shrugged.

    Jamie popped it open, revealing a rose gold antler band.

Her eyes began to swell

Her eyes began to swell. "What's this? Is this a—"

    "Jamie," Nova interrupted, kneeling beside her. "I love you and although we've had our ups and downs, I know that I want you. I want to be with you. I want this to be a forever thing. I'm not asking you to marry me, not yet at least. I just want you to know where my intentions lie. Where I want this to go."

That was nearly four months ago.

    Jamie rolled around in her empty bed, slowly coming to. Nova was gone again, back in her hometown of Brooklyn, tending to things with her shop before embarking on another trip with her new client. This time it'd be a little closer to home. Chicago. Jamie was planned to accompany her partner in the evening. Her flight was set for 6:45.

    Reaching over on the bedside table, she grabbed her vape pen. Taking a long drag from the pen, she held it in before exhaling deeply. She needed to pack. Four days worth, she was reminded last night.

    So she packed while blasting Section.80. Pulling out the coolest clothes she could find. Chicago always held a special place in her heart and she couldn't resist making a special arrangement with her partner.

    Stuffing her vape pen in the back compartment of her carry-on, she found the journal. It'd slipped her mind to read it on her flight to Australia and as her trip unfolded, she'd forgotten all about it. With Nova laying it on thick, Jamie found herself focused on her.