XVIII.

"Fuck. My. Life."

Corey chuckled at his friend as she knocked her head against the piano keys.

"Rough day?"

Jamie sat up to ramble through her backpack, retrieving the dreaded document. "Look at this shit."

Corey scanned the first page of the math exam. "A 58% percent. Wow, but all of these are right."

Jamie motioned for him to flip the page. On the other side the questions were unanswered. "How, Jamie?"

"I spaced out," she mumbled. "Well, I fell asleep actually. I literally crashed and burned."

"Is it gonna effect your grade?"

"Slightly," she admitted. "What's bothering me is parent teacher conferences are this week and my aunt decided to go this year." She gave a tight lipped smile. "Just my luck right? This will be the highlight of the evening."

"It won't be that bad, girl. Your aunt seems mad chill. Plus, I know you probably usually get straight As anyway. One shitty test ain't gon hurt." He nudged her shoulder, attempting to cheer her up. "So relax, baby girl."

"Thanks, Corey," she gave him a half smile.

"I mean if it helps I can always tell her what an incredible beer pong player you are," he joked. "I think it would make her proud. Right?"

Jamie laughed loudly as he imitated her victory stance from the Halloween party. "Oh, god, no."

"Why not? I think it's quite the title. Think about it," he looked up to the sky, his hands spreading out as if he were reading a banner. "Jamie Tracy, beer pong champion of 2004!" Corey peered down at his crush, who remained on the piano bench in a fit of giggles. "Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

"No..." she cackled.

"Well, I tried." He grabbed his backpack from the floor. "I'm gonna head to the gym to get some practice in. Wanna come with?"

Jamie pointed to the piano. "I have my own practicing to do. Maybe next time, Corey."

"Fosho." He dipped down, stealing a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Hey," she hollered, punching him in the arm as he attempted to jog away. "I couldn't resist," he shouted, exiting the music room.

Jamie shook her head at his antics as she studied the unnerving exam. She definitely needed to do something to increase the score. She couldn't afford to add to the growing tension between her and her aunt. Not after returning home yesterday.

"What's got you so focused over here?"

Jamie clutched her chest in fright. "Jesus, don't do that," she scowled, making him laugh. "It's not funny."

"Mhm," he smiled as he strut over to his desk. "What is that though?"

"Oh, you know, a math test I bombed the heck out of," she shrugged in dismay. "More fuel to the fire." Prince frowned at the statement. "Let me explain," she began.

"When you--well, when I got home yesterday, my aunt had a ton of questions. Mainly about my attire. Those clothes may be a little more feminine than most, but she definitely knew they were not mine and that they belonged to a man."

Prince bit his lip nervously, "Did she ask whose they were?"

"Don't fret. I told her they were Henry's."