XII.

"Dude," she yelled across the basketball court. "I can't do this. I fuckin' suck."

"Do it!" He yelled back to her. "It ain't that hard, ma."

Jamie bounced the ball a few times before launching it into the air. The ball hit the backboard and rolled into the hoop.

Since she returned to school, he'd been all in her face. Apparently, he'd missed her. So much so that he in fact stopped by her home on the third day of her absence. Though she hated to admit it, his presence was quite enjoyable.

"See," he smiled retrieving the ball. "I told you, you could do it." Corey dribbled the ball towards her. "Glad you ditched your practice time now?"

Jamie smirked knowingly. "To be honest. No," she chuckled. Especially not after the late night phone calls with her special friend.

He pretended to fall over in agony. "Aww, c'mon. You really gonna do me like that?"

"Yes, Corey. Yes I am."

Corey smacked his lips, going up for a lay up. "So I guess asking for another date is out of the question?"

Jamie's face fell, she didn't want to break his heart, but she just didn't see him like that. At least, not at the moment. "For now it's outta the question."

"It's cool. I'll chill in the friend zone for now," he sighed, dribbling the ball around her. "I got the rest of the school year and summer to win you over anyway."

"Think you got it like that?"

"I know I do, baby girl." He didn't even attempt to contain his cockiness. "You just ain't letting me show you. But anyway, what are you doing for Halloween?"

"Not sure. Why?"

"Well," he went up for another shot. "There's this big Halloween party that's happening. You should come through."

"I don't know about all that--"

"There you go, leaving me hanging already," he shook his head, circling around her. "Remember when we were supposed to go bowling?"

"I'm just not into the same circle as you. Hell," she huffed. "I don't mess with anyone at this school to be honest."

"And that's why you should come. Mingllllleeee," he pressured. "It'll be fine. I swear."

"Maybe," she shrugged. "I'll run it by Henry to see if he's down."

"I already asked..."

Jamie booked it to his locker, catching him just as he finished switching textbooks. She slammed the locker door shut in his face.

"Well, hello to you too!"

She folded her arms across her chest. "Did you tell Corey you were going to that Halloween party?"

"Yup," he nodded popping the p. "I didn't say you were gonna go. Did he ask you?"

"Well, yeah...."

"So, why are you coming at me again?" He squinted his eyes at her. "Please help me understand."

"You should have said no."

Henry he waved his hand at her. "Bitch, bye. This party is gonna be the shit. I'm not missing it. You need to come too. Just saying," he shrugged. "Ain't like you gonna be doing anything anyway."

"You don't know my life. I could have something planned."

He was quick to reply. "Like what?" Jamie stared at him, failing to respond. "Exactly, you ain't got a damn thing to do."