XXXIV.

Sitting at the table, she twirled her thumbs, ready to hear what Pamela had to say. What accusations she would possibly throw. What excuse she'd give for her lack of apathy.

     Across from her Pam stared, long and hard. "So, wanna tell me where you've been?"

    "Henry's—"

    "Lie again," she scold. "Lie to me again, Jamie."

    "I'm not lying," Jamie replied with a shake of her head. "And if I were, what does it even matter? I mean, come on, you lied to me. You said he wouldn't be welcomed back here." Jamie looked up from her hands, "You lied. And you know he'll do it again. Aren't you afraid of that?"

    "This isn't about Greg," she spat. "Now, where have you been?"

    "With someone who treats me far better than the way he treats you," she muttered. "Better than you can ever imagine."

    Pam gritted her teeth. "You're just going to throw salt in my face? You told me you weren't going to see that–that man, Jamie. You promised me."

    "So, we both break promises. Fair enough?" She shrugged. "I asked you before and I'll ask you again. How long do you think it'll last before he does it again, auntie?" Jamie pressed, reaching for her hand.

    "Jamie, he's changed."

    "No one changes in a year, auntie," she mumbled. "He's still the same. Always will be. Every time he leaves you're different. Better. You're stronger."

    "This is his last chance. I promise," she squeezed her palm gently. "After that we're through. Completely through." Jamie let go of her hand, drawing them into her lap. "His been fine since he got back, Jamie," she contested. "Think it'll be good this time."

    "This won't be any better auntie," Jamie groaned. "You're setting yourself up to get hurt."

    "I won't be."

    "Whatever you say," she mumbled, sinking into her chair.

    Pam watched her niece, disappointment resting in her features. She'd almost forgotten her own frustration deep within. "Jamie, can I ask you something?" Jamie shrugged, glancing at her aunt. "This man you're seeing, do I know him?"

    Although her heart was racing in her chest, she kept calm. "Now auntie, I'm not that bold. Of course you don't. And why are do you keep flipping this on me. I'm passing every class. I haven't been in trouble and I'm leaving soon. Give me a break."

    "I was trying to, but then you go and pull this."

    "Auntie," she cut. "I told you, he's not pushing anything on me. He's not steering me astray. He's not holding me back by any means," she clarified. "If he were I would have cut it off."

    "You make it seem like you been seeing him for a while. Have you?" Jamie shook her head.

    Since that conversation, their relationship seemed rocky. Jamie refrained from speaking to her outside of a warm hello and goodbye.

Greg often made snarky remarks that Jamie found herself ignoring. His level of immaturity was one she refused to stoop down to. "You just let her do whatever Pam," he yelled one afternoon as they sat at the dinner table.

    "Greg, leave it alone..." Pam mumbled as she placed a scoop of string beans on Devin's plate.

    Greg stared Jamie down as she rose from the table. Grabbing her plate, she announced her leave. "I'll just eat in my room..."