III.

Henry sipped on his milkshake as he listened to Jamie explain her conversation with Mr. Nelson.

"So, basically, he's not gonna say shit, right?"

"Right," she assured leaning against the window at their table.

"What did he say about, ya know?"

"He apologized," she mumbled, fiddling with the straw of her drink. "I told him to forget it even happened."

"Whhhhhhyyyyyyyy," he whined. "P," he put emphasis on the name given that night, "is a daddy. You and I both know that."

"Henry," she shot back. "He's my teacher. Now, stop it."

"He may be a teacher, but that man is a fine cup of tea," Henry smirked. "Only if he was gay," he pouted. "You know I'd be all over his pogo stick."

"Henry!"

"What," he huffed. "I can't dream?" Jamie dipped a curly fry in ranch dressing before tossing it in her mouth, while Henry eyed her in disgusted. "That's just nasty."

"Oh shut up," she threw a crumb at him.

"But anyway, about homecoming. It's in two weeks," Henry playfully glared at her. "We're going."

"No."

Henry rolled his eyes, as he tilted his head towards the ceiling. "Why not? It's senior year and we've never gone."

"You could have gone without me," she shrugged.

"I'm not gonna go without my best friend," he explained, with a roll of his eyes. "It wouldn't be right."

Jamie glanced at her friend, dipping his straw in and out of the chocolate shake. Although she knew it wasn't intentional, she felt as though she was being guilt tripped.

With a heavy sigh, she asked, "What color did you want to wear?"

Henry screeched, as he clapped his hands. "Have I told you how much I appreciate you lately?"

"Nope, but you need to start. I'm digging into my college savings for this mess."

"Girl, boo," he waved his hand. "You know you're set for college and anything after."

"Maybe," she dug through her bag, retrieving a thick envelope, before tossing it on the table. "Thinking about going here."

Berklee College of Music

Henry peered at the material. "Berklee? You gonna go all the way to Boston?"

Jamie shrugged, chewing on another fry. "Depends on how the audition goes."

"Well, when is it?"

"February," she chuckled.

Henry snatched a fry from her plate, launching it in her face. "Girl, you made it seem like it's close as hell. You got time to practice, as if you don't do that all the time already."

Time. Jamie's eyes widened as she pulled out her cellphone. 3pm. "We gotta go. I have to pick up, Devin."

Walking to the house two doors down from her duplex, she could hear the commotion of various children from the neighborhood. She knocked a few times until Ms. Joyce, allowed her entry.

"Hey, Jamie," the elderly heavy set woman stood to the side. "C'mon in. Devin's asleep in the living room."

Jamie made her way into the large living room. On a pallet, curled up in a ball was her cousin, sucking on his thumb.