XXVI.

AN: as always I didn't proofread. Lemme know if you catch some shit. Also, gonna check out Andre Cymone tonight!

"I swear to God that boy has some crazy amount of sugar in his tank," Pop said in a low grumble to his wife as Henry strolled through the family room. "He a little too sweet."

"That's because I am, Pop," Henry fired back. "What didn't think I'd hear ya?"

Pop rolled his eyes at the flamboyant fellow. "Didn't care if you did, sissy."

"Pop!" Pam scold from the kitchen. "Be nice."

"Ehh, whatever," Pop groaned sinking into his chair. "Sissy."

"Love you too, Pop," Henry giggled.

Jamie laughed at her elder. He may not have approved of Henry's lifestyle, but he'd known the boy since Jamie's arrival to Minnesota. His love for him was just the same as it was for anyone else. He just had a funny way of showing it.

"So where you going to school, sissy?"

"Pop," Jamie stressed.

Henry shrugged it off. "Don't know yet. I'm thinking NYU, Howard, or Georgetown. Those are the top three I'm interested in. Staying here is a possibility too."

"What you gon study?"

Henry flopped down in the chair besides Jamie. "Law."

"Not bad," Pop replied before looking over at his granddaughter. "You already got yourself a lawyer when you make it big, June Bug."

"We'll see, Pop."

"Say fella," Pop peered over to the entryway of the family room. "Think my June Bug will make it?"

"I'd be disappointed if she didn't," his sultry voice replied as he leaned against the wall.

"See," Pop pointed. "Even the purple nigga says you'll make it."

Everyone within earshot burst into laughter. "Purple nigga? Really Pop?" Rodney chimed in.

"Whatever," Pop shrugged.

Ma slapped her husband's arm. "You gotta filthy fucking mouth."

"Looks who's talking," he chuckled, earning a smile from his wife of over fifty years.

"They're cute," Henry whispered in Jamie's ear. "I wanna be cute like that. Promise me that if we're not married by 30 we'll marry each other."

Jamie gave her friend the most amusing face imaginable. "Nigga, what?"

"Just promise, bitch," Henry whispered harshly. "You're like the only person that can put up with my antics at all times."

"Am I sensing some problems with Tyee?"

"Oh, no, we're good," he countered. "You just never know."

"Right..." she turned back to her grandparents, admiring their love. Henry pinched her arm. "Ouch!"

"Promise me, bitch," he hissed.

"I promise," she rubbed her arm. "Damn."

"Ayeeee, June Bug," Pop called from across the room. "You know what time it is right?"

Jamie's face instantly reddened. This was a tradition, one she loved. It was also one she never thought he'd be here to see. "Awww, can we just skip it this year Pop?"

Pop shook his head, standing to his feet. "Nope. When have we ever skipped this, June Bug?" He shuffled over to Jamie taking her by the hand. "C'mon, get on up, sugar foot."