XXV.

She tried her best to read him. The harder she tried, the more difficult it was to decipher what he was feeling after hearing those two dreadful words.

"Say something," she pressed, after the long moment of silence.

"What did you tell her?" He asked, fumbling with his fingers. He couldn't bring himself to look at her, not at this moment when everything could possibly crash and burn come morning.

"I just told her that there was someone," she revealed, reaching for his hand that slowly moved away.

"That's all," he inquired with uncertainty. In the pit of his belly, he knew there was more. There was always more when it came to honesty.

"No," she sighed. "But I swear she doesn't know it's you. All she knows is there's an older guy in the picture. I didn't tell her much."

"And she just let it be?" He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that her aunt was being so lenient.

"For now," she shrugged, "Yeah. She has no choice really. Technically speaking, I'm an adult and I could leave whenever I want. I have the means to do so."

"Then why haven't you left?"

"She likes me close and," Jamie tried her best to describe the relationship she had with her guardian. "I like being close. I like seeing her face. The resemblance to my mother. How free she is with me. Being around her enlightens me to what it probably would have been like with my mom. She's the closest thing I have to one."

Prince finally allowed their hands to touch, "I doubt it would be the same," he chuckled. "And your father would probably have you so tied down--"

"She'd make him let up," she refuted. "She did when I was younger. He was always the one telling me to be careful and stuff. When I had my first crush, I think I was maybe in 1st grade. His name was David," she recalled. "I came home and told mom all about him and my dad--he said I couldn't date until I was 21 and out of college."

The story made them both chuckle.

"I didn't get it then," she continued, staring out the windshield. "But I do now. Boys are a distraction." The gently squeeze of his hand, made her roll her head to the side. "What?"

"I'm a distraction?"

"Are you a boy?"

"Funny..."

"I try," she snickered. "If you must know, you aren't a distraction. At least, not anymore. I like what you are to me now."

"What's that?"

"You." Jamie ran her thumb across his knuckles. "It's you that sees me. No one has ever seen me before."

To know he got her, only made him want her closer. To always have her around. "Come home with me," he uttered. "Tonight."

Jamie couldn't contain her snigger. "What? Are you crazy?"

"You said she didn't care."

Jamie raised a finger. "I never said that. I know she's put off by it, but she'll never tell me that, P. If it makes me happy, she's for it. Just like music. I know she wants me to study medicine or something like that. She mentioned it once, but when she realized how music makes me feel, she never mentioned it again."

"Well, do I make you happy?"

"Yeah," she replied, already knowing where he was going with this.

"Then come home with me," he smirked.

Jamie shook her head, but her foot down. "I couldn't. Just like I can't accept this gift, as much as I love it." She ran her finger over his symbol adorning it's front. "This..."