XXXVII.

With the multiple pink slips on her desk, Jamie sat in the back of the classroom. A pair of sunglasses shielding her eyes, with her hoodie pulled over her head. She didn't want to be bothered, not in the slightest, but that's all that seemed to occur on this rough Monday. I should have ditched. But where would she go? One more period and I'm out of here.

    As always, quite early, he walked in. That signature strut, oozing such confidence as he juggled multiple things in his hands. "What's up, mama?"

    "Not the time or the place, Mr. Nelson," she mumbled, sinking further into her chair.

    Glancing in her direction, Prince's brows rose. "Well, excuse me for trying to be a little sweet on you this glorious Monday." Jamie shrugged her shoulders. "Someone's grumpy."

    "I'm not grumpy," she retorted.

    "Sure you aren't," he countered, walking over with a cup of coffee in hand. "I know you probably didn't get a cup this morning, but I figured its never too late."

    Jamie sat up, taking the drink as he sat across from her. "Thank you. Really. It's appreciated." As she raised the cup to her lips, she stilled. "Wait, it's–"

    "–almond milk. Yeah."

    "Thanks, soy sucks. So does regular milk," she chuckled, finally tasting the vanilla flavored drink.

    "But you eat cheese?"

"I didn't say I don't like dairy, just that regular white milk blows," she reiterated. "That's a big difference."

"Whatever you say," he shrugged scanning over the desk. "Someone's been busy today." He lifted one of the pink slips, only for her to snatch it from his hands. "What? I can't read about whatever stunt you pulled today?"

Jamie folded the slip, along with the others before stuffing it into her bag. "I didn't pull a stunt. Today's just been a long day."

"After our weekend? Did you not get any sleep last night?" He watched as Jamie slowly shook her head. "I thought that'd be all you wanted to do after that ride back," he wiggled his brows. "Is that why you're wearing the glasses? You hiding those sleepless night baaaagggggs?"

"Shut up," she snickered. "Having bags ain't nothing to make fun of. Everyone can't be perfect like you."

    "You and I both know that I'm far from perfect."

    "I have to disagree." While taking another gulp from her beverage, the bell rang signaling the end of the period.

    Prince rose from the desk. "Whatever. Just take those off before the class starts. Cool?" Jamie failed to reply as her peers soon began trickling into the classroom.

    When the period began, Jamie remained in her seat. Her hood pulled further over her head, the dark shades still resting on the bridge of her nose. This didn't go unnoticed. Not to Mr. Nelson, nor the other students. To prevent anyone from pointing it out, he did first.

    "Ms. Tracy, would you please remove the sunglasses?" He waited at the front of the class, while all the students watched on as Jamie sat as stiff as stone. "Ms. Tracy..."

    "Sorry, sir, but I can't do that."

    He leaned against his desk, folding his arms over his chest. "Excuse me? I said take off the glasses."

"Eh, I'd rather not." A few of the students chuckled. Seeing Jamie disobey a teacher was a rare occurrence.

"Don't make me write you up," he threatened. Unbothered she remained. He couldn't believe she was pulling this. Not with him. "Seriously?"