XX.

"Bitch!" Henry rubbed his temples. "Did I not tell you to be on your P & Qs? I mean come on. We've all been taught to cross our Ts and dot our Is."

Jamie stirred the cup of coffee, mixing the sugar cube she dropped inside. "I know..."

"Especially after y'all had that talk. You go and tell the nigga to come over," he rolled his eyes in dismay. "Unbelievable. That should have been the last thing to do."

"I know," she repeated. "I wasn't thinking. I just wanted to see him."

"Its best if you didn't for a while," he suggested, before sipping his tea.

Jamie dropped the spoon against the cup. "That's gonna be tough. I mean..."

"Girl, you got his class," he huffed. "You're acting like it's the end of the world. Just let him know whats up." Henry watched her smile drop. "Did she say anything when you left out?"

Jamie shook her head. "At least not about this morning. She just told me to be home by midnight."

"Think she saw him?"

"No," she answered. She couldn't have, his windows held such a dark tint. "She may have seen the car or something, but I'm certain she didn't see him."

"As long as she didn't see him, that's all that matters right?"

The buzzing of her phone in her pocket, pulled her attention away from the conversation at hand.

Life Alert
5:15pm
Busy?

5:16pm
I was actually about to ask you the same thing.

Jamie looked up from her phone. "Hey Henry..."

Henry glanced at her then shifted his eyes to the device. "No," he wildly shook his head. "Just...No. I say don't see him for a while and here you are trying to see him. Did anything I said register?"

"It's just to let him know face to face. That's it, that's all. We'll be in and out. I swear."

Henry nearly rolled his eyes out of his sockets as he stood up, snatching his bag from the table. "You know what...bring yo ass J, before I change my mind."

Traffic was extremely heavy for a Saturday evening. The usual 30 minute trip had taken nearly an hour before they hit the exit ramp. "Dakota Ave, right?"

"Yep," she nodded as he made the turn. Pulling down the street, she noticed two unfamiliar vehicles parked in his driveway. Her phone, again, began to vibrate in her coat pocket.

Life Alert
6:25pm
How close are you?

6:26pm
Extremely...

"He knew we were coming right?" Henry asked as he parked the car. Jamie nodded, eyeing the cars. "Well, shit...alright."

Together they walked to the door with Jamie leading the way. Once she rung the doorbell, they both stood awkwardly, mentally preparing themselves for whomever would answer.

6:30pm
I don't think now is a good time.

As she held the phone over her shoulder Henry read the message. "The fuck," he barked. He stepped in front of Jamie ringing the doorbell nonstop. "Came all this way. He gon open this goddamn door."