XXXV.

"Can't believe you're eating that."

    Jamie slowly bit into the small square burger. "Believe it," she mumbled with a full mouth.

    "You're eating something that used to breathe like you and me."

    "And I appreciate its sacrifice to keep me nice and plump." She leaned in his direction as she slowly took another bit of the burger. "Yea," she sighed in satisfaction. "I appreciate the sacrifice."

    "You know, if you're gonna eat an animal, you could have at least gotten something better."

    "Please, sir," she held up a finger. "Do not, I repeat, do not come for White Castle."

    "You can have that nasty mess," he rolled his eyes. "Just save me some fries."

    Jamie snapped her head in his direction. "Nope, I asked you if you wanted anything and you said nooooooo, fast food is terrible."

    "I was talking about the burgers there."

    "Well, you should have said the burgers are terrible. You made a general statement about fast food, sir. Your fault, not mine."

    His eyes roamed from the road to the sack of fries in her lap. He quickly grabbed a few, earning a shove on his shoulder.

    "Aye, don't be a dick."

    Prince chuckled as he stuff one in his mouth. "Sharing is caring baby girl."

    "Mhmm, how much longer before we get there. Feels like we've been in this car forever."

    "Well, if we left this morning, we'd probably already be here."

    "Maybe," she shrugged. "It's better to be safe then sorry."

    "Any insane math equations again?"

    Jamie laughed as she handed him the bag of fries. "Nope, I dropped it this semester. My math requirements are fulfilled. I'm not going to kill myself trying to be extra."

    Jamie fiddled with the gps in the dashboard of the rental. "Seriously, how long before we get there?"

    "A little less than an hour," he mumbled. "We're about to pass O'hare Airport now."

    "Ok. Where are we staying? I hope you didn't get anything super fancy."

    "And if I did?"

    Jamie dug into her bag of food. "Here, take these extra fries. That's all I got on the bill."

    Rolling into the city, Jamie's eyes widened at the city lights. It was well passed 11 and the city appeared so full of life. She couldn't wait to jump out of the car to explore.

    "Nice, right? I've always liked Chicago." He spoke as they drove across the Chicago River.

    "We're staying down here?"

    "Well, yeah. The audition is being held down here right?" Jamie nodded. "So, why not stay down here?"

    Jamie could barely speak as they approached the lavish building. "Y–You really did get something super expensive." She threw her head back against the seat. "You didn't have to do that."

    "It's not that much and it's only for the weekend. Cool it, mama."

    Two men approached the truck, one opening Jamie's door as the other rounded to Prince's side. "Good evening, ma'am. Welcome to Fairmont."