X.

It was as if time stood still as they walked the halls. The deafening silence encasing them. The only audible sound seemed to be their heartbeats, the pulse flowing between their joined hands.

Reaching the guest room, he slightly tugged her arm to turn her towards him.

With her head to the floor she turned his way. "Stop doing that," he spoke, lifting her chin. "Just because we're going beyond our norm doesn't mean the rules have changed. You don't do that around me. Alright?"

With that baritone voice, the authority oozed from every fiber of his being. She slowly nodded under his hypnosis.

"Good," he smiled, leaning over to kiss her cheek. "By the way," she could feel his lips lightly brushing against her ear. "It's okay to dream. August 23..."

"Goodnight lil mama," he slowly backed down the hall, waiting for her to step into the guest room.

All she could do was watch him increase the distance between them. In her heart, she desired just the opposite. The vital organ thumped in her chest as she watched him prepare to climb the stairs to the main level.

"Wait," she called to him. "C--can we sleep together?"

He leaned against the wall, shoving his hands into the pockets of his pajama bottoms. "I don't think that's a good idea, mama."

"Why?" The moment the childlike response spilled from her lips, she regretted it.

"Never mind." She turned away from him, rushing inside. Her back fell against the door as it shut. "Why? Why would you even ask that, Jamie?" She stripped herself from the door to hop on the queen sized bed. "Fuck..." she sighed into the darkness.

Still she lay wide awake. It seemed like an eternity as each minute passed by.

The light growl of stomach made her rise from the bed. With a blanket wrapped around her frame, she crept down the hall and into the kitchen.

On top of the fridge was a box of Cap'n Crunch. "Bingo."
Retrieving the box and a bowl, she filled it about halfway.

From there, she wandered into the sunroom, sprawling out on the couch. She peered around the moonlit room. On the wall she spotted the small clock reading 3:06 am.

"Can't sleep?"

She looked to the small figure standing in the entryway. His hazel eyes seemingly heavy. She slowly shook her head, answering his question. "Me either. Can I join you?"

She shrugged, sitting up to make room for him. "It's your house."

He laid on his back, resting his head in her lap. "So I make room for you to still lay on me?"

He nodded, with a boyish smile plastered on his face. She playfully rolled her eyes, while tossing a few pieces of cereal into her mouth.

"Is that my cereal?"

"Mhm," she giggled. "Did you want some?"

"You know it." She held two pieces to his lips, as he opened his mouth letting them fall inside. "I swear this is the best cereal on Earth."