XXIX.

January 3, 2005

This was it. The final stretch. Her last semester at Central High School.

Scanning over her new course schedule, she groaned in dismay at the heavy load.

Period 1: AP English IV
Period 2: AP: Differential Calculus
Period 3: Forensics
Period 4: Physics II
Period 5: Lunch
Period 6: Jazz Band

"So basically the first half of your day is shit."

Jamie jumped at the sound of his voice. "Henry, dude, stop doing that shit."

"Oh, get over it," he waved off before leaning against the lockers. "I know you're changing that schedule though. It's our last semester. You've been going hard for far too long."

"Yeah," she looked over the schedule again. "I'm dropping physics and calculus. I just can't do them. What do you have during those periods."

Henry grinned, "Oh you know, electives. Food & Nutrition and Home Economics. Maybe you should transfer into those classes?"

"Then it'll be a schedule full of electives..."

"And the problem is?" He shrugged, grabbing her hand. "C'mon let's see that counselor of yours before everyone starts switching and the classes fill up."

_______________________________

The redundancy of listening to class syllabi was more draining than any semester at Central High. By the time her lunch period rolled around, she was ready to check out. So this is the senioritis thing, she thought as she roamed the halls.

Entering her favorite class, she turned on the lights and got comfortable in her usual seat. Kicking her feet up in chair next to her, she pulled up the hood on her sweater. "Time for a much needed nap," she mumbled aloud.

With his cellphone pressed to his ear, he listened as his best friend continued to chew him out.

"I don't care what you doing that weekend. We're coming over. Dez coming this go around too."

"So you're just inviting people over?"

"Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa," he dragged. "And? Is that a problem nigga?"

Prince had had enough of his antics. "You're lucky we cool, Morris."

"Lucky? If your short ass don't--"

Prince yanked the phone from his ear as he walked into the classroom, ending the call. Letting the door shut behind him, it sealed with a loud slam.

"Fat head negro," he grumbled as he reached his desk. "Bet them fools don't get through the front door." He set the drink carrier on his desk and began to remove his coat. The coffee run was a last minute thought. He figured it'd be a nice gesture when she arrived to his class.

A small token letting her know she'd been on his mind since those two days spent snowed in together, a week ago. His only concern now was keeping it hot until her arrival.

The light snoring in the back of the room rang in his ears. He glanced across the room, catching her laid back in the seat, her head cocked as far back as possible. "How the hell did I not see you?"