XLII.

AN: ain't proofread this either. So shit may be kinda fucked. I'll edit later...here we go.

    Over the last few weeks, her words lingered. And no matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't leave me. It drove me mad, but I managed to hold it together. I had to. For her sake.

Nearly the entire summer was divided between her loved ones and I. For each day we spent I was grateful. Grateful for it all.

We mainly moved about publicly outside of Minneapolis, but on occasion if we had, it was pretty low profile...no one bat a lash. I finally managed to take her to my favorite restaurant in Chanhassen. We even went to a water park. She'd chosen that adventure. Man, was it a day to remember. I'd never let anyone get my hair wet like that. Yet, she was the exception. She was everything and as the days carried on, she proved to be so much more.

We'd been shacked up the last few days at Paisley. She'd ask to record a tune that'd been playing in her head. I obliged and left her to fiddle in the little studio while I recorded something of my own.

On occasion I'd walk by hearing bits and pieces of what she'd conjure up. After the fourth pass, I caved, barging into the room, catching her add the last bits of the guitar.

"Nosey," she snickered, setting the guitar to the side. "It's not even that good. It's so basic."

"What is it?"

"Not a song about you, that's for sure," she giggled, toying with the soundboard. "Hey, that should be the title."

"Works for me," I chuckled, watching her work the recording equipment.

I don't know what caused it but it was at that moment, the moment she looked up at me that I realized how much she truly meant to me. I know I've said it time and time again, but this moment was so different. Maybe it was the slow build up to something I wasn't quite ready for.

"You wanna hear it. I mean it's kinda finished..." She smiled up at me, her hair brushed to one side.

"Yeah," I muttered, before tugging at her hand. "Play it for me." Watching her click a few buttons, she queued up the track before sitting in my lap.

"What do you think?"

"Honestly, its simple. And sometimes simple is good. This is good, baby."

"Thanks," she smirked. "It's definitely gonna be called Not A Song About You, because when I do write one about you, I'll be sure you know. Everyone will know."

"Everyone, huh?" She was so corny, it was adorable.

"Everyone," she repeated, laying back against my chest. I could feel her head turn against me. As I looked down, I caught sight of her beautiful brown eyes.

For the umpteenth time today, my heart ached. By the way she stared back I knew hers was as well.

Her soft hand caressed my cheek and I couldn't help closing my eyes, falling into her touch. "I'm gonna miss you."

"Hey," she whispered against my right cheek, her warm breath sent shivers down my spine. "Look at me." I opened my eyes, meeting her somber smile. "I'm still here. Don't get soft on me just yet, little man."

And just like that, she kicked me out of my funky mood by making me laugh. I lightly knocked her shoulder to make her stand. "There you go with those short jokes."

Jamie giggled with a shrug. "As long as I'm taller than you, they'll never end. We should get outta here though, don'tcha think?" She was right, I didn't want our day to be spent like this.