XXII.

December 22, 2004

"Tonight was fun..."

His large hand engulfed her own, giving it a light squeeze. The slight spark, making her blush by the simple display of affection.

"You're ridiculously gorgeous," he whispered, as he watched her face fill with color. Even through her caramel skin, those reddening cheeks could never go unnoticed.

"Thank you," she mumbled.

"Hey," he lifted her chin. His brown eyes bore into her own as he inched closer to her.

Her breathing quickened as each second passed, but once his lips touched hers, it all faded away and she melted.

Upon entering her home she fell against the door, her hands clutching her chest as she grinned at the ceiling. Stomping her feet, she squealed in delight.

"So, I'm assuming it went well?"

Jamie ceased her movements, noticing her aunt strolling down the hallway.

"Uh, yeah, it was good. They're really nice." She smiled, finally removing her coat and boots.

"That's good."

"Yeah," she agreed. After stowing her winter attire, she made the trip down the hall.

"Wait, Jamie."

Jamie stilled and turned on her heels. "Yes, ma'am?"

Pam studied her niece, taking notice of her faint smile. She was happy at the moment, but the same way she saw it within her sister, she noticed it within Jamie. The underlying hint of something else.

"Nothing," she shook her head, knocking the trance. "I'm glad you had a good time."

"Thanks, auntie," she smiled softly. "Goodnight."

It was going on two in the morning and she found herself wide awake, cradling the acoustic that was given to her many moons ago. Her fingers dancing along the neck as her laptop recorded everything on GarageBand.

Lost in the tune she almost missed the chime in the background. She clicked the stop button on her Mac and checked her notifications.

In the corner was a minimized AOL private message window. There was only one person to message her on the service. Clicking the maximize button she prepared herself for a long winded message.

PrncN1sn: hi.

Jamie's eye lingered over the single word message. Perplexed she was, but to ignore it would only make matters worse.

JJTrace: hi

Minutes passed before she received another message. Although it was nearly impossible, she was certain emotions could always be deciphered through text. Yet, the response was so short, there was nothing to interpret.

PrncN1sn: Eye want 2 show u something
JJTrace: Now
PrncN1sn: Yes
JJTrace: K.
PrncN1sn: Back b4 dawn?
JJTrace: Yes...
PrncN1sn: As U wish. 25.

Jamie cautiously moved about the dwelling, waiting to step outside the home before shoving on her boots to minimize possible noise.

She decided against tying them simply booked it towards the alleyway. She'd rather be gone instead of being caught in the act.

Slipping into his black Cadillac, she softly closed the door behind her.

"Hi," she greeted while buckling her seatbelt. He didn't respond to her light welcome, only stared. Uncertain of what to do, she stuffed her hands into her pockets and got comfy in her seat. "Umm, I think you should back out, just to be safe."