The Silver Ring

Reader X Eren

Sequel to The Blue Bear

•••

The silver band glinted on her finger, a mixed emotion of excitement, anxiety and curiosity filling her bosom. It had only been days since the proposal, but the euphoria had yet to fade. Smiling gleefully to herself, [y/n] hugged the teddy bear tightly.

Although they were currently engaged, Eren had said that he wanted her to complete her studies first, which was her priority at the moment. Preparing for marriage would be a bit too much, despite opting for a simple wedding at the chapel. She was reaching finals; it was best not to stress over other things.

After graduation would be finding a job. Then, they both could settle on a proper house rather than a small apartment. That timeline seemed so far away, [y/n] wondered if it was too early to be a fiancee.

But it was definitely too early for the news to spread. Before long, she had received congratulatory messages from her peers, and very soon, from her lecturers. There were comments made whenever others saw where the ring was worn; some cooed at how she found love at an early age, while some spat with an undertone of jealousy. The negative words got to her more often that the positive ones did.

[y/n] held up the blue bear, staring at its eyes until she was interrupted.

"Still admiring my handiwork, my rabbit?"

Her line of sight moved to catch her fiancé's own eyes, a certain soft feeling reflecting the emerald green of his irises. His smile alike was not a grin, but pulled in a natural way one would when in joy. Eren's hand extended to ruffle her hair before placing his bags on the floor, then joining [y/n] on the sofa.

"It's beautiful."

"And you keep telling me that!" he laughed. His hand pulled [y/n] closer to himself, nuzzling his nose in her hair.

After a moment's pause, she said, "Eren..."

He hummed in response.

"Do you think it's too early to be engaged?"

He turned to face her, shock written clearly on his expression as he asked the reason why she thought that way. Her reply was slow, sadness creeping in her voice.

"I don't know... People keep telling me that I'll probably regret it because they say young couples who marry early have a higher chance of divorce. They say that our love will die out. They say this choice is acted upon impulse."

Eren sighed as he pulled her into a hug. "It's alright, my rabbit. It's alright. You know what I love you, right?"

He felt a nod from her, a sniffle following.

"And you love me too."

Another nod. Her hands reached to return the hug, her fingers pulling on the fabric of his sweater.

"I chose to propose because I believe in our love. And you accepted because you believe in it too. Showing love towards each other is a choice, not an obligation. If we are obligated to love, then where is the truth? So I chose to love you with all my heart, because I believe that you are the one for me."

It became silent, but not one with thick air that could choke someone; but it was a peaceful type, as Eren knew how she felt, and there was no need for her to express it through words. [y/n] scooted closer to him, appreciating the warmth they shared.

She felt a surge of confidence. It was then she decided to ignore the haters, but she will share the happiness with those who supported their union.

The silver ring glinted in the light, a symbol of their connection. [y/n] smiled, her heart filled to the brim with joy once more.

---

A/N: hi there-- I won't be extending this one-shot, as I don't intend to write a wedding. The last time I attended one was some years ago and it was just the banquet.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this, and I'll see you in the next one-shot!