Chapter 5 (Peter)

It took me a full week and a half to get over my mistake

It took me a full week and a half to get over my mistake. I wasn't going to let it happen again. This time I would be ready and prepared. I search the whole city every day after school and I have Harry watching for alerts of break-ins and other suspicious activity. We're coming up with a plan so we'll be ready to stop them. 

I swung around the city after school, a few weeks after my last encounter, keeping an eye out for any trouble.

"Hey Peter, have you found anyone to go to the Winter Fest with?" Harry asked through the headsets in my suit.

"You're really asking me this right now Harry?" I asked. The Winterfest was in five days.

"Um... yeah, that's why I just asked. Duh," Harry started laughing. I rolled my eyes.

"No, I haven't found anyone to go with. I probably won't go at all. I have to focus on this problem first. Have you found anyone yet?" I asked.

"Umm... yes, well, kind of. I haven't asked her yet," He muttered.

"Well, who is it?" I asked. 

"Maggie. I plan on asking her tomorrow," Harry replied. Maggie was a popular girl in our grade. She is extremely nice. Anyone would be lucky to go with her. Besides Olivia, I don't really have anyone I want to go with. I'll have to go anyways to get pictures for the school paper. 

"Oh you'll be lucky if she says yes," I said. Harry scoffed. Harry dropped something in the background.

"Umm... Peter. I think I've found something. On Hamilton Ave, there are alerts going off. It's at the children's hospital. I don't know if you'll get there fast enough," Harry said. Finally. 

"I'm on my way," I replied. I could hear Harry's mom call him.

"Sorry mate, I'm going to have to sit this one out. My mom needs me. Remember Peter, you're not going to win every battle you fight. You've got to lose a few times so you can learn from mistakes," Harry said.

"Okay thanks, that's alright I've got this," I gulped. Harry can't always be there for me. I swung around the buildings as fast as I could. I had to get there. I had to stop them this time. I wasn't going to lose. Harry and I added a camera on my spider emblem on the front of my suit so I could get pictures while fighting. I scanned the area and thought about what my plan was. I reached the hospital. Some people had evacuated but others were still inside. I checked each floor until I saw two men at the front desk on the seventh floor. A tall man had a gun pointed at the nurse at the front desk and the other one had metal arms coming out of his back. 

"Hey, I've been looking for you two," I said. I was confident. I had to be. If they heard any hesitation in my voice they would know I'm scared. Yes, I am terrified everytime I'm in this suit confronting someone but I don't let it get to me.

"We were wondering if you would show up... um... Spider-Boy? Spidey?" The man with the metal arms said. He was shorter than his partner and he was a little rounder around his waist.

"Come on guys! It's Spider-Man. Of course, I'd show up to meet my buddies. I don't think we've met properly," I sighed in annoyance. Why can't anyone remember my name? I shot my webs at a hospital bed and propelled it towards the men. They dodged it and the man with metal arms caught it and threw it back at me. I quickly dodged it. 

"Aw man, you almost hit me. I thought we were friends," I sarcastically said. I laughed.

"We are not your friends. You talk too much. Don't you?" the taller man asked, "but I suppose you'd like to know the names of your enemies that are going to kill you. Call me Kingpin and this is Dr. Octopus. 

"Interesting names. Well, gentlemen, I'm sorry to disappoint you but no one is dying today," I said. See the funny thing is, is that I don't get nervous when I talk to people like these guys because they can say some pretty dumb things and it humors me. I ran at the men and shot my webs. I hit Dr. Octopus man but Kingpin grabbed my arm.

"Mr. Tough guy, eh?" I asked. He was much taller than I was. He threw me. My back hit the hard floor. Man did that hurt. I tried to get up quickly but Kingpin grabbed my neck. He squeezed my neck so hard that I couldn't breathe. Dr. Octopus was still struggling with my webbing. 

"It's the end of the line Spider-Man. Once you're out of the way we can finish our plans," Kingpin said laughing in my face. I was gasping for air. I could feel a sharp pain in my neck and my face was beginning to turn red. I didn't know what to do. He was going to choke me. I can't end like this. I try looking around at my surroundings. With my other arm, I shoot webs at two pipes right above Kingpin's head. I pull them as hard as I can. 

They hit him in the head and I fall to the floor gasping for air. Dr. Octopus picks me up with his metal arms and runs toward the Hospital windows. He throws me down. I'm falling in mid air. My head is spinning and I'm still gasping for air. I see a crowd of people below me. I stretch my hand out and shoot my webs hoping they'll attach to something. Luckily, they did, and I was able to break my fall. An explosion comes from the seventh floor of the hospital. My head was still spinning but I get up and start heading for the building. I saw them run out the back doors of the hospital where no one was.

I follow them. They are running with a big brown bag. I shoot my webs but I get hit with something big. Dr. Octopus threw a blue mailing box at me and boy did that hurt. I hit a stop sign on the corner of the street. I could see that Kingpin kept running while Dr. Octopus stayed with me. Great. I get up and shoot each of his arms with webbing. I missed three of the five on his back. He pulled out a circular tube from his pocket. It was another explosion. I grabbed the stop sign that I had hit and blocked myself from the explosion. I threw the stop sign at him. It slices one of his metal arms in half. He became more frustrated and picked up a red car nearby and threw it at me. I wasn't fast enough to dodge it.

 I couldn't move. I was in too much pain. I could hear Dr. Octopus laughing. Then the laughing stopped and you could hear sirens in the distance. I ached everywhere but I had to leave otherwise I could get arrested or even worse, Aunt May would kill me. I used the last of my energy and pushed the car off of me. 

I quickly headed for home. I quietly opened the door of our apartment. I looked around and I didn't see May. I sighed in relief and headed for the bathroom. I looked in the mirror to see how bad the bruises were. They were pretty bad. How was I going to explain this one to Aunt May?