Chapter 15 (Peter)

My leg was finally healed so I was able to go back to school the next day. I found Harry at school and I told him what had happened between Mallory and me.

"Okay, so what do you want me to do about it?" Harry asked. He shut his locker and turned around to look at me.

"Well, I don't know. I just feel terrible and guilty and she's been a really good friend to us. Don't you agree?" I asked him.

"Yes she has and now you've been a complete Ass to her. Sorry, Peter but that was rude. I understand you're going through a lot trying to catch these guys but still. You didn't have to snap at her," Harry said.

"I know, I know. I just don't know what to do. She told me to leave her alone," I said.

Harry began to chuckle.

"What's so funny? This really isn't funny," I said. Harry laughed harder.

"Well, you see. That's exactly it. That's why it's funny. You like her," Harry continued to chuckle.

"What? No, I don't. She's just a friend. I like Olivia. Mallory is just a friend," I stated. Harry had a huge smile on his face.

"That's what you keep telling yourself. Your brain says Olivia; but, your heart says Mallory. Trust me, man. I've seen the way you act and talk to her. She's become such a good friend that you're comfortable to be yourself around her. You don't stumble your words as much when you talk to Mallory versus other girls. The bill for your love advice will be in the mail," Harry joked. Is Harry right?

"Okay Dr. Love, if you are right then what do I do? I still like Olivia. Brain or not. That won't change. Plus Mallory wants to be left alone," I said.

"The only thing to do is to not listen to what she wants. Don't leave her alone. Tell her what you want to tell her. As I've gotten to know her better, I've found out that she is a very forgiving person. One day we were talking about that day I asked her to be in my group in 6th grade. Guess what? Turns out she said no because she liked me. So you've just got to talk to her Peter. You'll be surpris-" the first bell cut Harry off. We walked to our first period in silence. Harry was letting me think about what I would say.

I sat at my desk thinking about what I would say. I didn't want to make things worse than they already were. I tried to get Mallory's attention. I spent the whole school day trying to get her attention and I was also constantly checking my phone to see when the trackers I placed on my enemies would stop moving.

Every time I passed Mallory in the halls she wouldn't look at me. I called out her name but she ignored me.

(AUTHORS NOTE: Ignore the writing on the image)

I would stand there and watch her walk past and ignore me.

At the end of my fourth-period class, I started heading for the lunch room when I forgot my textbook in the classroom. I found my book where I left it. As I was walking out the door, I heard someone talking in the commons. I saw Mallory and Olivia talking.

I stayed down low and hid behind the closest lockers to them

"Mallory, the art club and I decided that we have too many people and we need to get rid of a member. We decided it was you. So um... well, sorry but you're not talented enough."

"What? But Olivia, I was told that I would help carry on the team at the state convention."

"Well things have changed and you need to keep up. I'm sorry but you're off the team."

"Olivia this isn't even fair. You all haven't talked to me so we could try to work something out."

"Yes, we did. That's why I'm here talking to you now. The team asked that since I'm President, that I ask you to leave. Do you really think I would willingly talk to you?"

"I... I don-" Mallory started but Olivia cut her off. I was so confused. Olivia is so nice and kind to everyone.

"There's nothing else that needs to be said," Olivia snapped.

"Olivia. I will not let you treat me like this. I'm going to call a meeting after school so the whole club can compromise to work things out," Mallory said with a shaky voice.

"No, you will not. I will make sure you won't. If I ever see you enter that classroom again I'll-"

"You'll what? You'll hurt her? Beat her up? I thought you were better than that Olivia!" I said as I revealed myself to them.

"Peter what are you doing here? Peter let me explain," Olivia said. I looked over at Mallory to see her face all red and her eyes full of tears.

"There's nothing to explain Olivia. The club didn't decide to kick Mallory off, You did. You're jealous of Mallory's talent and you don't want someone on the team who is better than you because then you'll lose your President position," I stated full of anger.

"No, Peter. That's not true. Let me explain," Olivia begged.

"You know Olivia, I used to think you were the coolest girl in school. You were so nice to everyone. I had a crush on you. Now? You're hanging out way too much with your boyfriend and you're starting to act like him. Leave Mallory alone otherwise, I may end up talking to your dad when I go to work tomorrow," I said. Olivia glared at me.

"UGH! Just so you know Parker, I don't need a little sophomore threatening me or my boyfriend," Olivia said as she stomped off to lunch. I watched her leave. I looked over to Mallory. She stood with her back to me. I could see her wiping tears from her face. I slowly walked over to her.

"Mallory?" I asked. She sniffled.

"Thanks, Peter."

"Do you want to go to lunch?" I asked. I put my hand gently on her shoulder and tried turning her around. She didn't fight back. I slowly turned her around.

"No, I don't," She replied continuing to wipe her face, "You really didn't know she acted like that?" She asked.

"What?"

"You didn't know Olivia talked to people like that," Mallory repeated.

"Oh, no I didn't."

"She's been like that for years. She used to bully my best friend because she was jealous that my friend was dating Jack," Mallory said.

"Mallory, I am so sorry. Why didn't you tell anyone?" I asked. Mallory chuckled.

"So you really think anyone would believe that the 'Nicest Girl in school' could be so mean?" She asked. Mallory was right. I would have never believed it.