Chapter 10 (Mallory)

I knew I shouldn't have followed

I knew I shouldn't have followed. I was careful to stay my distance so no one would see me. I saw that they were heading to the airport, so I parked my car at the very front and walked the rest of the way, following along. I stood behind a large orange cone and watched the two men enter a shed. Spider-Man entered the shed a few minutes later. I didn't know if I should wait. So I also entered the shed a few minutes after Spider-Man.

I regretted it. I was in a tunnel. I saw Spider-Man sitting at the edge of the tunnel. He was fidgeting with his suit. I stayed back so I wouldn't be in his way. All of a sudden, I saw him drop something. I heard him yell.

"Crap!" 

As soon as he said it. I said the exact thing in my head. I started to turn back in the tunnel but he bumped into me. It wasn't very dark in the tunnel so I knew he could see my face. He sat there staring at me like he was in shock. I could feel my cheeks getting red.

"I am so sorry-" I started.

"-It's alright. Let's get out of here," He responded. His voice was very muffled but I've heard his voice somewhere else before. I just couldn't put my finger on it. He grabbed me around the waist and carried me out of the tunnel. As he started getting out of the tunnel and back into the shed, I heard a gunshot. I heard a scream of pain and realized it was Spider-Man. He was hit. He dropped me on the ground of the shed. I could hear him swearing under his breath. His breathing got faster. He shot webbing on his leg where I'm guessing the wound was.

"Sorry," He muttered under his breath to me. He picked me up and ran out the door of the small shed. Once he got outside and shut the door. He shot more webbing on the door handle. He paused looking around the airport grounds. He started running towards a van. He opened the doors and set me down inside.

 He opened the doors and set me down inside

"Stay here. Please just stay here," He begged and then shut the door behind me. I was shaken. I can't believe it. I met Spider-Man. Oh, what am I thinking? I shouldn't have come. I got in the way and now he's injured. I heard an explosion come from outside. 

I was too scared to get up and looked what happened

I was too scared to get up and looked what happened. I look down at my shirt that I changed into after the dance. It was spotted with blood. Now I felt even more terrible. It wasn't my blood. It was Spider-Man's. I gain the courage to get up and look out the window. The two men blew up the small shed's door. They were advancing towards Spider-Man. He was limping as he attempted running at them. He shot his webs at them but it wasn't enough. I couldn't just sit here and watch. Spider-Man shot webbing at one of the planes and swung around it, hitting one of the men in the chest with his feet.

 Spider-Man shot webbing at one of the planes and swung around it, hitting one of the men in the chest with his feet

I heard Spider-man yell in agony. It was terrible to listen to him in pain. His leg probably hurt even worse after hitting the man with his injured leg. I had an idea. I crawled over the seats in the van and made my way to the front of the vehicle. I jumped in the driver's seat. The keys were in the cup holders. I started the car. The engine was conveniently quiet. It was perfect. I waited for the perfect moment when the men were standing together and Spider-Man was out of the way. As soon as I saw my shot, I hit the gas peddel as hard as I could.

I hit both men with the car. Spider-Man stood there watching holding onto his leg. I quickly rolled down the window.

"Hurry! Get in!" I yelled. He ran as fast as he could while limping. He hopped in the passengers seat and I hit the gas peddal again. I drove to where my car was parked out front. I was far enough away to where I don't think they would chase us. I pulled the van right behind my car and parked it. There was a moment of silence. I could hear Spider-Man was breathing heavy.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant for this to happen, " I started but he stopped me.

"It's alright, really."

"I'm a huge fan. A friend told me I might find you at the bike shop, so I followed you here," I said. He nodded.

"Do you want me to bring you to the emergency room so they can get the bullet?" I asked.

"No, no, I'm fine. As long as you're not injured. Thanks for... uh... helping me back there," He said.

"It's the least I could do after you got me to safety," I replied. I smiled at him. He looked up from his leg to me.

"Well, thanks. Make sure you get out of here right away. I better go," He said. He opened the van door and I saw him swing off into the distance. I sat there smiling, just watching him.