Chapter 13 (Peter)

God, that was embarrassing

God, that was embarrassing. I didn't need Mallory to see me shirtless. As I sat down on my bed, I didn't look at her. I didn't know what to say.

"Um... Thanks for bringing me my school work," I said still looking down at the floor.

"Yeah, it's no problem," She said. I look up at her.

"So what were you so excited about, that you wanted to tell me?" I asked. 

"Oh, yes! So on Friday night when you told me Spider-Man was spotted, I went there and followed him to the airport because he was following theses two other guys, who I'm guessing are criminals. He followed them into a small tool shed. So, I made a stupid decision, and I decided to follow along. I could hear brief talking but then I got in the way because Spider-Man bumped into me. And-" Mallory went on and on. She was actually really good at story telling.

She was very detailed. Even though I was there, I was really able to picture the whole scene with just her words. When she finished, she sat there watching me for a response. I smiled.

"Wow, it sounds like quite the adventure," I said.

"You'll have to come with next time if I ever plan to do something stupid again," Mallory laughed.

"Yeah, maybe," I muttered forcing a smile. 

"So, Peter... I don't want to sound overly concerned or like a protective... Aunt, but I've just been wondering what's up with you lately. You've missed school days, you've been in and out of classes and-" I cut her off.

"I know I've been missing school. I know Mallory. I've just been really busy and don't ask me what it is because I can't tell you. I just don't understand why you care so much. Why worry about someone you don't need to worry about? I'm fine. There's nothing wrong with me." I snapped.

"Fine. I understand. We're not as good of friends as I thought," She replied back in a hurt voice. WHAT?! She stood up and walked quickly to my door. I jumped up and grabbed her hand before she left.

"Wait, Mallory! I never said that! Why would you say that?" I asked

"Wait, Mallory! I never said that! Why would you say that?" I asked. I could see her eyes were becoming watery.

"Peter, you and Harry have been so kind to me and you've let me feel like I've finally been accepted since my best friend moved away. I've always been here for you, right beside Harry, when you've needed a friend to talk to or you've needed advice on girls like Olivia. You don't have to tell me everything. If you did, that would be kind of weird, but I can see it on your face that something is really bugging you. I want to help you, Peter, because you're one of my only good friends!" 

I didn't know what to say. I realized I was still holding her hand. I slowly let go.

"Mallory you are one of my good friends. I'm sorry I snapped and if I've seemed mad or upset lately. I'm sorry I've ignored you. I've got a lot on my shoulders right now and I wish I could tell you but I can't. I'm sorry," I said. I stared into her watery eyes. She nodded her head and looked away from me.

"Just leave me alone, okay? Bye, Peter," She said continuing not to look at me. She walked to the front door and left. I was speechless. A few minutes later Aunt May came by my room. 

"Hey, I didn't even see her leave. I thought I heard things getting a little intense. Is everything okay? You guys weren't a thi-"

"No May, we weren't a thing. Just friends. I'm not very good at talking to girls, as you've noticed," I said. May chuckled.

"We can work on that. How is your leg? I still can't believe how hard you hit that table at the dance when you fell. That's a pretty deep gash for just a table," May informed me.

"Yeah, I have no idea. I'm going to bed. Love you May."

"Love you too, Peter."

I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. That's when it hit me. I was a complete jerk to Mallory. There's no reason I should have snapped at her. I was really stupid. Mallory has always been there, right next to Harry, listening to what I have to say about school, girls, and just everyday things. And now? Now, I think I've just lost the greatest friend I could have ever had.