E I G H T E E N

Nine Years Old ❣︎ March

"I don't see why it's everyone's business what I wear!" Jughead huffs angrily before dramatically plopping on the soft grass that covered the park by the school.

"It's not." Archie agrees before more calmly sitting down next to the angry raven haired boy.

"I know! I like my hat!" He exclaims before throwing his hands up in the air.

"Me too." The red head agrees again.

"Why are people so mean?" Jughead asks sadly before turning towards his best friend, who is caught off guard at the striking eyes staring at him suddenly.

"I don't know Juggy." Archie answers honestly before taking Jughead's hand and intertwining their fingers.

"But, I'll do my best not to let anyone hurt you." He promises with a smile on his face.

Jughead nods gratefully, but still looks a little down about the whole ordeal.

People at school have been making fun of the boy's crowned hat since third grade started, and although the comments weren't going to make him take it off, it still annoyed him that he was being made fun of for a stupid reason.

First the name, now the hat, people just love to make fun, don't they?

He was only being made fun of for being different, but Jughead doesn't get what's so wrong with being different. Why wouldn't you want to be different?

He happens to like his name, he happens to like his hat, and his friends happen to like him, so why does any one else matter?

Of all the things to make fun of someone for, Jughead just finds it ridiculous that they chose a hat.

"Wait, I'll be right back." Archie smiles before running away towards the garden in the middle of the park, and picking flowers of pastel pinks and bright yellows.

In less than a minute, the red head comes back to his best friend and sits right in front of him.

"What are you doing?" Jughead giggles, causing the scarlet hue's heart to flutter.

Archie blushes before shaking his head and reaching up to take off Jughead's hat. The raven haired boy allows him to do it surprisingly, since he usually shrinks away from anyone who tries to touch it.

The red head begins to delicately place that flowers he had picked into Jughead's silky hair, arranging them into the shape of a crown.

"There. Even without the hat, you're still beautiful, and you still wear a crown. You're still different, and you're still weird, but you're also still perfect." Archie says softly while staring shyly at his shoelaces, which are suddenly becoming the most interesting thing in the world.

But Archie knows the most interesting thing in the world is sitting right in front of him.

"Thanks Arch." jughead responds in a flustered manner, unable to stop a deep blush from spreading across his cheeks.

"N-no problem." Archie replies nervously, his heart beating loudly in his chest.

Can Jughead hear it?