E I G H T Y - T W O

Twenty Two Years Old ❣︎ September

"No." Jughead whispers into the phone as Archie stands outside of the room, shamelessly spying on his boyfriend.

"I can't tell them about us. Not yet. Not right now." Jughead sighs. "My relationship isn't their business." He says quieter, making Archie frown. "Well of course I want them to know but they can't right now. I don't want attention away from my book until it calms down." Jughead winces, hating how selfish it sounds coming out of his mouth. "Okay. Bye." He bites his lip, hanging up and groaning into his hands.

"You know, I've tried my best not to make this about me but I can't help but to feel offended." Archie says, causing Jughead to snap around and stare at him with guilt.

"I don't know what I'm doing." Jughead admits, curling himself up into a ball.

"That's a first." Archie sighs before joining him on the bed.

"Everything is going so well. So much better than I ever could hoped for, but it's overwhelming. I'm overwhelmed." He breathes out shakily. "This is happening too fast." He chokes, burying his head into his arms.

"I get it." Archie hums, not making more of an effort to comfort him.

"I don't want to give people another irrelevant reason to buy my book. I never wanted to gain so much of the wrong attention." He continues, his voice shaking.

"I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you need to suck it up." Archie says gently, trying to take the harshness out of the statement. Jughead doesn't say anything for a while.

"You think I'm stupid for being upset about this?" He questions.

"Pretty much."

More silence follows.

"I think you're right."

"You've been given an amazing opportunity that most authors haven't been allowed. People look up to you, people find you to be interesting and an all around amazing person. You're in the media so much. Sure not all of it has to do with the book but all of its good, Jughead. People want to know you and you have the ability to be so connected with everything and everyone but you choose not to. You have a platform most authors wished they had but you're doing nothing with it. You're a 22 year old asexual author who has a boyfriend and came up from practically nothing. You're a fucking poster child for why teens need representation. You could inspire so many people and shed light on so many things that are important to you but you don't! You complain because the spotlight's on you. And I can't feel bad for you. I'm sorry." Archie says strongly, and Jughead just sits and listens. No matter how much Jughead wants to deny it, his boyfriend is 100% right.

"I never thought of it like that."

"Maybe if you haven't been so busy obsessing over irrelevant people thinking that you're hot and trying not to be seen with me in public, you would have." Archie shrugs.

He deserved that.

***

"Oh my gosh, I already know we're going to love it!" Jughead says excitedly, clapping his hands.