N I N E T Y - T W O

Twenty Four Years Old ❣︎ April

"I'm just as nervous as I was the first time oh my gosh I'm sorry." Jughead laughs bashfully into the microphone at the press conference. "I've rewritten this book so many times until I got the product I wanted. You get to learn more about the characters definitely, and see how their plan from the first book plays out." Jughead answers the question that was asked to him first.

"How does it feel knowing that this book has to do better than the first one, or your career may possibly be over?" A reporter blurts out from the back of the room.

Alisha angrily takes the microphone from Jughead and starts going off. "Excuse me, sir but first of all-"

"Alisha, it's okay." Jughead laughs before getting her to sit back down and taking the mic. "It's terrifying actually. I've spent a lot of time thinking that extreme over, and I'm going to be honest with you. In my head there was a part of me that wanted to quit while I was ahead, but that's not okay. You're never going to get better or improve if you live by that type of mindset. I did my best and I can live with trying my best but I can't live with myself if I didn't do anything out of fear of failing." Jughead answers calmly and honestly, reminding
everyone in the conference room about the reasons why he's so admired.

Although most people love him, a special group of people, equipped with rather rude reporters, hate his guts. They find him to be a fraud, and don't think his writing is that good either. They spend most of their time trying to dig up dirt on him, but it's pointless. They never find anything, and even if they did it's nothing Jughead wouldn't clear up or talk about.

"That's a lot of tough talk for someone who dropped out of school in 11th grade." The reporter shoots back which makes everyone in the room gasp except for Jughead who proceeds to giggle into the microphone.

"I never dropped out of school, and even if I did this is a press release conference about my book and I'd really like to focus on that. You can dig up dirt on me later, I'll even give you a shovel, but please respect me enough to only ask questions about the book, thank you." Jughead smiles before Alisha rips the microphone out of his hands.

"He may be all charming and sweet and all that but I'm not. One more outburst and you're out of here, just like that." She seethes, causing everyone to shut up immediately.

The day continues on with some basic questions and everything seems to flow smoothly after that awkward first confrontation. It's not until all the questions are asked that Jughead starts to get nervous again. He takes a deep breath before starting to speak into the microphone softly.

"Before you all go, I just want to say a few things if that's alright?" He asks kindly, shooting the same soft smile he always does that seems to make people do whatever he asks. Everyone nods and gives him their full undivided intention as he starts to play with his hands. "I just want to thank everyone here, and everyone I've met along the way for helping me to get to this position. If it weren't for some of you guys and your beautiful and kind words on the first book, a second book might not even have happened. I'm just so grateful that I was even given the chance to publish Stop Before December, so whether or not it does really well or it's a total flop, I'm just thankful for this journey so far."

***

Stop Before December Was Terrible
By Linda Guzman