Chapter 12

“[Name], time to get up,” Tifa cooed softly, standing beside your bed. You didn’t groan or hesitate this time, knowing that you had to get into the routine of getting up early again as you sat up, squinting at the hallway lights. Tifa smiled,” Good morning, how’d you sleep? We didn’t want wake you for dinner, you seemed really tired.”

Rubbing your eyes, you yawned, then smiled up at her,” I slept great. By the way, thank you for getting me the cellphone.” You hugged her, and since she was standing, it was around her stomach. “Actually thank you for everything. You’ve done so much for me, and I’m a complete stranger. I’ll find some way to pay you back.”

She shook her head and hugged you back,” It was no problem [Name], we’re happy to have helped you. You don’t need to worry about paying us back, just… Make us proud. You’re like a little sister to me,” she smiled pulling away.

You smiled, getting out of bed,” No worries there, I promise.” She nodded and headed out; you followed, parting into the bathroom.

You looked into the mirror as you finished showering; making sure your eyes weren’t red. Promising Tifa made that pain in your chest arrive in as you closed the door to the bathroom, and in a flash, there was a memory:

“Promise me [Name] [Surname], that you will always tighten the string, but not cut it at all costs- unless it’s really needed. Be strong- and brave. Do your mother and I proud as our child and never walk away. Understand?” Your father had tears in his eyes, and he looked at you sternly, but lovingly all at once. You nod, and he lets you go;  flash, it’s over.

You clutched your chest, and couldn’t help the tears that flowed down for the next long minutes. He died so young, only 22- about to be 23 in a few weeks. It wasn’t fair- but then again, when was life ever? You controlled them into little sobs as you got ready, and after getting dressed, you noticed that the area around your eyes were a little puffy. You shut your eyes tight, and reopened them looking at yourself hard in the mirror, your hair tied into a high ponytail again. ‘I’ll make you proud; I’ll make everyone proud of me. Mom, dad, just wait, maybe you’ll see me save the world one day,’ you thought, then made your way downstairs.

You had a quick breakfast of eggs and a muffin before heading out the door with the twins, making sure that your phone was tucked snugly into your backpack. Outside, the weather decided to take a drastic change, and become extremely chilly. Being that you had forgotten to tell Tifa of your blazer problem, you walked rubbing your arms every now and then. The twins didn’t have their blazers with them, but they seemed to be fine. You took a ‘shortcut’ today through an alleyway, but it only ended up to take about 10 minutes longer.

Today, your schedule listed you to have psychology for first period, and who better to teach it than Xemnas himself? The atmosphere was eerie, and he lectured long into the hour. You didn’t fall asleep though, being that you had the class with Yuffie and Rikku, who were constantly making jokes about Xemnas every few moments. It was hard to hide your giggles, but you managed- somehow. Demyx and Marluxia also had this class, and they sat together at the far end of the room. Gippal was there too- and he sat next to Rikku, only contributing to the 4 of you almost getting caught laughing.

After the period passed, you made your way to philosophy with Gippal and Demyx who had it next. It was an unusually quiet walk there, being that the two didn’t really talk to each other, and you didn’t bother to try and break the silence, knowing that it would only make it more awkward. Eventually Demyx did, and the two of you got absorbed into a conversation about music, leaving Gippal to silently follow by your side, despite the many tries you did to get him into the talk. Philosophy was downstairs beside the gym, and the teacher was a handsome man in his mid-20’s with blonde hair that was parted down the middle: Lazard Deusericus. Gippal took a seat beside you and Demyx made his way beside Saix, who gave you a small nod from the back of the room. After a few moments, someone sat on the desk on your other side, and you looked up to see that it was Axel.