Chapter 87

Stupid? Yes. Irrational? Of course. But, understandable? …Definitely.

That’s what went through your mind as you ran, the short distance, to the coliseum grounds. Rounding the corner left and finding yourself at the end of the weapons room, you squinted, approaching the southern gate of the coliseum ring. Its bright lights blinded you for a second, making you retreat back into the shadows behind the corner, observing the unfolding events.

An unmasked shinobi, Hiro stood before Ryuushin in a stance that attempted to feebly cover himself. His little body was shaking uncontrollably, and by the way his shoulders went up, down, and up again, you could tell his breathing was no better. The stadium had also gotten silent, onlookers holding their breath, wondering what their leader was to do about the intruder.

Ryuushin had his kusarigama chain in the air, glaring at the boy before him. He cocked his head to the side, wondering why he didn’t bother running, or even fighting back. Maybe it was because he knew the challenge before him was too much to handle, or because he couldn’t fight at all? Nevertheless, the ravenette rolled his eyes, hands falling to their sides.

“What a wimp,” Ryuushin snorted. “You’re not worth killing.”

“N-Not worth k-killing?” Hiro’s bluish green eyes widened.

“That’s right,” the ravenette sighed, answering in a matter-of-factly tone. “You’re just a fucking kid, coming here alone to take on a syndicate of hundreds. You really think that you’d stand a chance? Hah! You’re practically useless to me! I wouldn’t even put you under control! But for the sake of comedy, I should have you fight Kazuki when the time comes.”

“I…can’t fight my Nii-san…”

“If I can fight my ex-girlfriend, you can fight your poor excuse of a brother.”

“Girlfriend!?” a familiar voice laughed in the crowd, everyone turning their attention to a tall, and in his early twenties, shinobi with shoulder length blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes—you easily recognized him as Fai. “Aw, HELL no! [Nickname]-chan, MY [NICKNAME]-CHAN, never had YOU as a boyfriend!”

“Shut it! You know nothing about me!” Ryuushin barked, turning to the crowd. “Calling her yours—damn elders think they know it all these days…”

“Elder or not, isn’t it a leader’s job to respect EVERYONE?”

“Don’t question my authority!”

“Yeah, sit your ass down,” a ravenette—Kurogane—hissed, pulling Fai roughly. “You’re lucky he didn’t notice you called her [Nickname]-chan!”

“C’mon! We all know Takahara-san is just an emotionally confused idiot!”

“SHUT UP!” the teen’s eyes glowed, shifting from the endless black to a shimmering gold.

“Calm it Ryuu,” Koji sighed.

“Aww~,” Hiro chuckled darkly, a devilish smirk forming across his face as Ryuushin turned back to him slowly. “Why…so…SERIOUS!?”

The small boy flung himself towards the ravenette, grabbing the chain as it was twirled between the teen’s fingers, and dashed around him until he had tied himself up in trying to catch the eight year old. Hiro then kicked Ryuushin down, and attempted to make a run out of the ring when Ryuushin had let himself free and grabbed his ankle, dragging him back. In the meantime, the shinobi merely watched in partial eagerness and horror, unsure of how to handle the situation.

Ryuushin took Hiro by the collar, slamming him against the gate hissing in Japanese with words dripping venomously like a viper,” You enjoy pain don’t you? Sick child, I will tear you to shreds piece by piece. Your limbs will become nothing but—”