Chapter 90

“Guess Koji was right,” Ryuushin smirked, crossing his arms,” you did come with them.”

“Let them go,” you growled. “They have nothing to do with this! This is only between you and me—”

“It WAS between you and me,” the ravenette corrected, inching towards you. “Now it’s between you, me…and them,” he gestured to those in the spheres.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” you narrowed your eyes.

“Nothing, except I hope you have the heart to fight those you care for,” he chuckled.

A brunette haired and dark skinned scientist walked into the room. He was muscular—not attractively, but in the way that said he didn’t gain them naturally, especially around the arms—with spectacles resting on his nose. Wearing a white lab coat pushed up to his elbows by dark gloves, he wore a sick smile on his face as he clicked a button on the nearby monitor, the tubes retracted into the celling, the orbs floating on their own will.

“Sir, I th-th-think she turned off the mako,” he sighed, speaking in an annoyed tone. “Their brain levels are only at seventy s-s-s-seven percent.”

“Oh r-r-r-really?” you mocked. “Nice of you to n-n-n-n-notice.”

“Many are p-p-p-p-privy to my existence. I am Agnus,” he introduced, glaring at you.

“The demon creator,” Ryuushin nodded, uncrossing his arms. “Now, if you would give me that materia, everything will get a little easier for you, [Name].”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” you shrugged, fists involuntarily clenching.

“Your being so carefree only proves your lying,” he sighed. “I know you used materia because it’s the only way to contain that much mako at once. You’re…a lot smarter than you look—I’ll give you that…and if you don’t comply, well…Agnus?”

The burly man was to press another button when you heard a cracking echo throughout the room. Seeing that Ryuushin’s face was as equally shocked as yours you knew that wasn’t supposed to happen. As it got louder, another, then another joined it—three altogether. Then, finally, a burst of glass flew against the others, blood splurging in the back, middle, and side of the inner lab where the spheres had blown. When nobody emerged, Ryuushin laughed, shaking his head.

“Ah, looks like the chick broke through the egg, but couldn’t survive the air of this world. Oh well, they’ll be missing out.” Clasping his hands together as you continued to search for the three who seemed to escape, a golden insignia glowed beneath the ravenette’s feet,” Break!” he called, extending his hand.

A wave of shimmering gold light blew across the room from Ryuushin’s palm, followed by a gust of wind that knocked you down. The shattering of glass filled your ears, along with the splashing of blood that waved the partially flooded area of the crimson liquid. The bodies on the floor plopped down lifelessly, and as you stood, you saw that they were doing the same, only with closed eyes and still lifeless expressions as if sleep walking.