Chapter 34

…Silver eyes burn with redemption of a lost hero. Forgive the gods who chose you- only accept fate as it spills your blood upon a crystal life. You have been selected- do not disappoint- for the lives of many lies within your hands. Running from a chasing past is pointless. Fight to the death- for legend speaks of sacrifice at the world’s end…

“Who… who are you?” you asked the suave voice. Only silence accompanied you as you felt a sudden falling sensation.

Your eyes shot open to see soft darkness. From the faint glow of a nearby streetlamp, you observed glass shards were scattered on the floor, and so were various medicinal products. This must have been a pharmacy by the layout- only the shelves and nearly everything else was toppled over or broken. Looking around, you felt a slight twinge of pain within your chest- and even though it lasted only for a brief moment- it was incredibly excruciating.

As you tried to sit up, you found that your wrists were tied tight behind your back, and your legs were outstretched in front of you ankles also tied- both with bandages held in place by a glass shard. You rolled onto your stomach, thankful that there weren’t many glass pieces nearby, and summoned your katana. From there, you carefully held the blade edge and cut through the binding on your wrists. With them now free, you rolled onto your back and cut the ones on your ankles. You stood, taking in the ruptured scene, wondering if anyone was looking for you.

“Kero?” you asked, scanning the rubble.

“[Name]!” he flew over from the broken window. “You’re alright!”

“Are you okay, Kero?” you frowned,” I hope you didn’t get squished in my hood.”

“I’m fine!” he chirped,” I’ve been keeping the heartless away until you woke up. I couldn’t untie you since so many attacked at once,” he sighed with tiredness.

“Well lets-” you were cut off by a few shadows erupting from the ground, their beady eyes piercing yours.

One swung its claw at you, but you summoned your katana in time to stab it and it melted back into the shadows. Two pounced on Kero; he flew between them so they smacked against each other before he threw a ball of light, casting them away. The final one was rather large, and as you pulled your hand back to hit it with the katana, Kero generated another ball of light from its edge. As the fiend faded, you dropped your katana and fell to your knees, clutching at another unbearable pain in your chest.

“[Name]!” Kero flew over to you,” Did it hit you?”

“No I-” you were interrupted by another sharp pain and doubled over against the floor, releasing a shrill scream with bloody memories flashing before your eyes.

“[Name], listen to me!” Kero flew in front of your face,” Concentrate your energy. Calm down and ignore the pain.”

You did as he instructed, huffing deeply and wincing a few times. It took a few long minutes, but you were able to make it stop. The feeling was like a hundred watts of electric running through you and you were helpless against it when it decided to occur- but it never was this bad.

“Did it stop [Name]?” Kero looked up at you with worried eyes. You nodded and stood. “I think they injected you with mako,” he hummed,” The syringe had the liquid residue left in it. That and Kurogane told me about the chest pains- I don’t think they mixed well.”

“I’m fine Kero,” you smiled and pulled your hood up.

“Your eyes are… [Name] they’re silver,” he flew in front of your face looking at them curiously.

“I know.”

“Then how are you-”

“It happens when I have heightened emotions or an adrenaline rush- that’s what everyone has been telling me anyways.”