Chapter 60

The vibrations from your phone against your pillow made your eyes flutter open. Groggily, you propped yourself up on an elbow and yawned, checking the time. 3:27AM- you had fallen asleep around 5 hours ago after more rehearsing. During the times that were supposed to be your breaks, you had been training with Wasurete in order to get a hand of your powers better. Then, after the Strife boys had fallen asleep, everyone ushered their tired selves into the meeting room to discuss a game plan. Even after that, Wasurete still insisted that you train more which you did until finally passing out.

Thinking it was your brother, you clicked to answer the phone, hissing with irritation in your voice,” Aniki, I’m not training anymore tonight! I’m WAY too tired!”

What came from the other end was a sniffle, making you wonder if you made him cry, until the voice on the other end answered. “[N-Name]? It’s Shuujin. Think you could come outside for a bit? I’m in your backyard. P-Please? I have some news.”

You were immediately woken up and you jolted out of bed,” Sure, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Th-Thank you,” he sniffled once more before you heard the click on the other end and hung up.

Quietly, you slipped out of your room and tiptoed downstairs, grabbing a pair of shoes before going back up. You threw on Wasurete’s black zip up hoodie- which you now claimed as yours- over the spandex shorts and tank top you had worn to train easily. You slowly opened the sliding window and peered to make sure Shuujin was there. Sure enough he was, in a black button up shirt folded up to his elbows, along with dark blue ripped jeans. You walked out to the balcony where you climbed onto the railing and jumped down.

As soon as he saw you, the emerald eyed teen pulled you into a hug with such urgency, it took you a moment before you could put your arms around him and hug him back. When he did pull away, he wiped his eyes and sniffled once more before chuckling bitterly at his actions- which worried you.

”So,” you began after a while of silence. “Where have you been the past few days? I haven’t seen you since Saturday night.”

“I’ve… been held captive,” he answered, wiping his eyes. “I’m sorry I left so suddenly.”

“Don’t apologize,” you frowned. “I was just wondering. Anyways, you had something to tell me?”

Shuujin nodded,” Yoshihara, hasn’t been seen for a while, and I heard from a few 9th-dans that after making the announcement Ryuushin Takahara was to be his successor, he disappeared. Everyone follows Ryuushin’s orders now and I think Yoshihara is being used as a lab rat or the guy really did go through with killing the old man.”

“He finally did it,” you sighed. “Somehow I’m not surprised.”

“Furthermore, the shinobi are planning to use prisoners as bait in exchange for you.”

“Bait?” you cocked an eyebrow. “How?”

“It’s more like a trade. Your life for 20 of theirs- those who didn’t want to fight out of the 157 of us who were spared. There are 21… if you count me.”

“Of course I’ll trade!” you said without hesitation.

“That’s why this is a problem,” he sighed,” You’re too… kind, [Name]. You want to save everyone, but sometimes sacrifices have to be—”

“No,” you interrupted. “If anyone is to be sacrificed, it’s me.”

“But, we’d gladly die—”

“Do you not speak English? Need I repeat myself in Japanese? I’ll be fine, Shuujin- trust me. Tell you what, I’ll even wear Rei’s necklace as good luck,” you grinned,” How’s that sound?”