Chapter 56

“I understand,” you nodded and wiped your eyes. “Is it alright if I call you aniki?”

“You don’t know how much it’ll mean to me when you do,” he smiled, his silver eyes glistening against the sun. “It’s such a relief not having my powers bottled inside.”

“It hurts?” you raised an eyebrow.

“When you’ve neglected to have your eyes shift to silver and let off some energy, it kind of… shocks you from inside out- that’s why they don’t change back at your will sometimes. So wanna go get some coffee?” he asked, helping you up.

“I don’t see why not. We’ll be partying all night anyways,” you shrugged, grabbing your bag and following him as he led the way back to town square. “Wait, what about the whole earthquake thing that happened?”

Wasurete shrugged,” You caught the kudan, only the people who have a power remember it happening.”

“That’s weird,” you mumbled. “Wait, wait, wait! What about my kudan? How am I supposed to explain what it is without getting bombarded with questions about who shares my blood!?”

“Shh!” he covered your mouth as you reentered town square, nearby people giving you quizzical looks. “Let me handle it- just say you don’t know.”

“Are you—”

“[Name],” he groaned. “Learn to trust your brother.”

“I didn’t know you even were until an hour ago,” you rolled your eyes. “You have the longest explanations.”

“It’s an explanation nevertheless,” he waved you off.

Wasurete’s usually unemotional- arrogant even- personality melted away as the two of you talked about the most random things on the way home. This was of course after stopping by at the park to play around and then a small coffee shop- things to kill time so Fai wouldn’t scold you for coming home before everything was ready. Wasurete was really a pretty cool guy- a bit of an internet and coffee junkie- but still a cool guy. He told you more about his life, saying that he had grown up in California for a short while. Also, he explained to you he had the same powers as yours to absorb them and use at his own will and accord.

“So what was mom like?” you asked, sipping on the milkshake you had gotten instead of coffee.

“Mom was a very gentle person,” he flicked the hair out of his eyes. “She always looked out for dad and me. I think she really wanted a daughter because she was around boys all the time. Dad, Kurogane, and Fai all were like kids around each other. She had the prettiest hair too, and her smile was like an angel’s,” he chuckled. “It’s funny to me how Hiro calls you her name.”

“Well, I can’t say I take up after her,” you sighed.

“Of course not, you have a horrible temper, and you’re abusive!” Wasurete laughed.

“Well gee, thanks,” you rolled your eyes. “You’re not so great yourself.”

“I know, we both take up after dad a bit more I guess considering our temper and skills,” he shrugged.

“Dad had a temper?” your eyes widened. “But he was so calm! Are you sure we’re not half siblings and you’re talking about some other guy?”

“Nope,” he popped the P. “When you messed with the people close to him, you were on his hit list. It was BAD when he got mad. One time, this guy tried hitting on mom, and he got very touchy with her. You know what dad did? Well let’s just say the guy never walked again. Better yet, try never moved a single muscle again. Kurogane and Fai barely stopped him even then it was too late- the guy became a vegetable.”