Chapter 16

Destiny Islands, the place where friendships began for 8 people and where you were to spend the next three days, was absolutely breathtaking. As Cid parked in the hollow ocean waters by the beachside, you gaped at how crystal clear blue they were; the rays of the setting sun hitting it perfectly as the light glinted off it. The sands were a white beige color, and palm trees rested atop them here and there, the vibrant green leaves swaying in the light evening breeze.

The hatch ramp was opened and students began making their way out. You got up to go as well, but lingered at the view from the main deck, waiting for the crowd to exit. When they did, and only a few of your friends were left scurrying around, you turned to leave, but, that unbearable pain in your chest that hadn’t been there for the past few days decided to spark today.

Clutching at your chest, your breathing became ragged and you fought to the best of your ability to stop the upcoming memory that threatened to fill your vision. There was another spark of pain, and you found that you couldn’t control it like the way you did in Spira. Your fingers felt as if they were digging a hole in your heart as you put a significant amount of pressure to make it stop, but to no avail. You were forced to your knees in another flicker of pain, and within a flash, the memory was all you can see. You were four years old, in Haeundae, a beach in South Korea, with your father, friends, and father’s friend, getting away from the countryside of Japan for a bit.

“Daddy, daddy, daddy! Look what I found!” you grinned, running up to the slightly tanned 21 year old man. He had been surfing, and you were under the watch of his friend for the past few moments.

Running a hand through his drenched hair, he smiled softly and kneeled down to your level, staking his surfboard in the sand. “Yes, [Name]? What is it baby?”

“Look at this pretty pearl I found! Uncle Kuro would’ve eaten it if I didn’t stop him!” you cried, holding the pearl out in your hand for him to see.

He took it and examined it. Sure enough, it was real; pure and still fresh from being created. ” Hmm, this is a pretty pearl, but don’t you think mommy’s jade pendant is prettier?” he asked. You thought for a moment, then nodded and grabbed the pearl and threw it away into the ocean. Your father looked at you in shock,” [N-Name], that didn’t mean you had to throw it away,” he frowned.

You shook your head,” But daddy, you said that if I didn’t need something I shouldn’t keep it.”

“What about me? I could’ve used it.”

“No~ you don’t need it either.”

“Now, how do you know that?”

“Because! Mommy’s and yours necklaces are prettier!”

Your father chuckled at that and tapped a finger on his chin,” Hmm, and are you saying that because daddy said so?”

“No! It’s the truth!” you smiled triumphantly.

“Why?”

“Because if mommy loves you, and you love mommy, and you both love me, then everything is gonna be pretty like in the fairy tales and we’re gonna live happily ever after!” you grinned. At these words, your father’s eyes held tears. You wiped one away and began sniffling yourself,” D-Daddy, don’t cry.”

He shook his head, and pulled you into a tight hug,” [Name], don’t ever forget that even after I’m gone, I’ll still love you. Your mother and I both do. Always, okay?”

You nodded,” I love you too daddy.”

He pulled away and wiped your eyes with his thumbs,” Now, let’s go bother Uncle Kuro for some food. I still haven’t eaten yet,” he said smiling.