Chapter 55

“I was born on May 22, 1993 to Suteki Higosha and Naoki Higosha. Their names- I’m sure you already know- mean beautiful protector and honest protector whereas mine means forgotten protector.  Mom’s real name was [Mom’s Name] [Mom’s Surname], but she changed it when meeting dad, taking up the nickname he gave her- which was Suteki- and his shinobi surname. Dad’s real name was [Dad’s Name] [Surname], explaining why we have different last names. He took up Naoki Higosha when he became ‘rogue’ at age 15 with Kurogane and attempted at starting a new life in the United States.

Kurogane said that he and dad were on a mission to assassinate a foreign double agent’s daughter in the United States, but after dad fell in love with her, neither of them was able to do it. A month or two later, they met Fai who was an ex shinobi himself- living with his mom after apparently ‘coming back from going abroad’. You know the friendship there- no need to explain that.

After a few months of dating, mom turned 15 and dad couldn’t handle it anymore so he told her he was shinobi, what he was supposed to do- basically his whole background including Kurogane’s and Fai’s. To prove that she didn’t care about that and only his love for her she admitted she loved him even after all of that, they… slept with each other…

Ahem, so, you remember how Fai said they didn’t talk for almost a year? That was because mom was pregnant with me. In order to keep me away from harm, they cut off all communication with one another for the next nine months. Of course her dad- our grandfather- was pissed, so he kept her homeschooled. Fai and Kurogane never learned about the pregnancy, and nine months later, the two eventually got back together. Dad was there when she gave birth though, since he snuck in and pretended to be a male nurse.

The reason why Fai and Kurogane are in the picture is because I was introduced to them as mom’s little brother when I was about 6 months old. They honestly didn’t see the resemblance between dad and I thankfully. But when I called our parents mom and dad, they did question it a bit, waving it off that I was just spending too much time with them. When I was two- almost three- our parents came to me with news that I was going to be an older brother to a little sister. I was super excited, I got all giggly when they were choosing names for you.

When mom was in her 9th month, they both sat me down saying that I needed to go away for a while. I didn’t understand at first, but that task I told you I was going to be given was to find you and protect you later in life. They left me in the care of an old woman named Ella who was a maid for mom a short while after my birthday which is when the picture was taken.

After saying my final goodbyes, I don’t remember how, but I woke up Twilight Town. Ella explained she was from there, and the woman sensed ‘potential’ within me, keeping me practicing the techniques dad taught me. During the next five years, I talked to dad over the phone a lot, he probably said it was just a friend since I heard your voice every now and then asking about who he was talking to.

Dad finally told me that mom had died giving birth to you on my 8th birthday. He figured I was finally old enough, and I was a little mad he neglected to tell me. It was then he explained to me everything- that he was shinobi, how he and mom met, Kurogane, Fai- you know. That same day, he was also a bit distressed, saying that I might have to take up that promise a little earlier than I thought would be necessary.

I didn’t know that that phone call would be the last time I heard his voice. I tried calling on your birthday about 2 weeks later, since he said I could talk to you then, but the phone was out of service. More weeks passed and I still heard nothing. Ella died the next year, and I was moved into foster care for the next 6 years, getting my powers and kudan when I was about 10.

I was 14 when I met Kurogane and Fai again through Touya, and they looked just a bit more mature than when I last saw them. They couldn’t recognize me though, which is when I neglected to tell them my true past. When Kurogane started teaching with Auron, I moved up the ranks in the dojo easily, Touya finally talking Fai into letting me stay with them in Hollow Bastion when school in Twilight Town was on break. Over the next few years, I learned a lot about you from the guys at home- especially from Kurogane who said one day we’ll meet and you’d well ‘whoop my ass’.