Chapter 53

That night, the celebrations of the football game were heard until about 9 when curfew was supposed to hit. After that, there were only a few rowdy fans still out there. It turned out, the person who had shouted that everyone get wasted was none other than the lovely Dante. Of course right? Well, he somehow did get hold of a case of beer, but once he was spotted by Kurogane, it was either have your ear ripped off or give him the booze.

It was currently 12:47AM, and you couldn't bring yourself to sleep. No matter how hard you tried, there was no closing your eyes. Maybe it was all the celebrating that made you hyped up on soda- something your body wasn't exactly used to- or you were just excited for the dance later tonight. In any case, no matter how tired you were, your brain wouldn't let you slip into the unconsciousness of sleep, and after lying in who knows how many positions for the past 2 or 3 hours, you finally decided to get up. Turning your phone on, you plugged in the headphones and wore them, mouthing the words to the first song as you stuffed the device into your pocket.

Outside on the balcony the night was still, cool, and calming. Earlier, you were too lazy to change, which left you in the outfit that sported the school's colors. After closing the door- making sure it wasn't locked- you climbed on the railing and jumped onto the roof easily, enjoying the very light and gentle breeze of twilight as you stood, overlooking the calm city with the view you had.

Being in the open during this time greatly reminded you of your days in the syndicate. Sometimes, it was all you could think of- but with the sudden change in environment after 11 years, it was reasonable. Something inside you triggered and you suddenly felt the craving to let yourself go in your once habitual hours.

Taking a deep breath, you began running on the rooftop, your footsteps incredibly silent. When you reached the edge, you jumped, flying through the air at an amazing altitude before landing on the roof of the next house in a soft roll. Without breaking your previous stride, you ran for the following structure, and since the one you were currently on had a roof that was lower in elevation, you had to grab the edge, front flipping to the top. Running again, you turned in direction and perched yourself within a nearby tree, gaining balance, then swinging from branch to branch on its nearby brethren.

As soon as the line of trees had stopped, you flipped onto a roof and found yourself on a building in town square. How you managed to get here was baffling even to you- so you turned to make your way back when a figure sitting on the edge of the fountain grabbed your attention. They had their head in their hands, hunched up over their knees, and was wearing all black. By the build, you could tell it was a guy. You knew it wasn't any of your business to interfere, but when he leaned forward a bit more, the katana latched onto his back came into view.

Silently, you ran to the other end of the buildings and jumped down behind him on the opposite side of the fountain. He didn't budge, so you burst into a pile of cherry blossoms and summoned your katana in the process, pointing it at him. He removed his hands and looked at the ground. Sniffling, you almost heard him gasp as he took a petal in his hand gently.

"[N-Name]... It's you," you heard him through a few more sniffles.

"Are you crying?" you asked in surprise, pulling back the katana, but keeping your grasp on it tight. You draped the headphones around your neck so you can see if he would respond.

"Y-Yeah...," he sniffled, blowing the petal out of his hand.

"I'm not gonna kill you or anything," you frowned. "I know you're a shinobi, but I won't be irrational about this."

"Thank you," he nodded, his words weak, but his voice soft and smooth. "...Don't you have school?"

"Che, what are you my brother?" you scoffed.