Chapter 78

Knowing you were about to land, you braced yourself for impact, and felt your body fall on something smooth and hard. At first, you thought it to be the sleek white tile of the mall, but you were proven wrong when it snarled beneath you, and your eyes shot open to see that you were on Akinori’s back, his wings outstretched, figure standing effortlessly against the winds which slowly died down in his presence, making you take notice of Raizo who staggered from behind a pillar at the entrance, his gray eyes glowing, hands out in front of him with open palms.

There wasn’t a sound as the winds abruptly stopped, and you slid down Akinori’s back, glancing around. Lightning stood up with the help of Snow, and Vanille ran over to you, beginning to heal the gash on your hand. Aqua and Noa were back to back, ready to attack as Natsu, Terra and Marluxia searched the far ends of the parking lot. Your gaze shifted to the streets, and when seeing that the storm hadn’t died down, you knew that the Clow Card was stalling to regain its strength.

The leaves beneath the lampposts of the parking lot slowly ruffled and whirled around the singular spot like a funnel as it ascended into the sky. You and the other members of your group watched in awe, taking stance with eyes fiercely locked upon the force. Akinori called himself back, and an aura of silver sparkled around your body. Then, wisp by wisp, the wind died down a bit, however it still remained fast enough to hide the Clow Card, showing nothing but its dark silhouette.

***

Wasurete paced back and forth, the uneasy feeling sinking into him sent chills down his spine. He was incredibly tense, as his hands clenched into fists at his sides, eyes shifting back and forth from silver to emerald, silver to emerald. The others were silent as they watched him, everyone in the large living room refused to even utter a word, afraid the teen might snap. However, his didn’t apply to a few people.

“I know yer [Name]’s brother n’ all, but don’t ya think it’s a lil harsh ta keep us all in here?” Cid inquired, scratching the back of his head.

“One of you is a traitor,” Wasurete grunted. “I’m not taking any chances.”

“But you could be one too,” Kurogane rolled his eyes. “Which means this makes you a hypocrite.”

“Akito is watching me, and the rest of us too.”

“Remind us again, please who’s gonna be a traitor,” Kairi crossed her arms.

“We don’t know yet,” Touya crossed his arms. “Like I said before, the vision was too blurry.”

Prompto sniffed the air,” What’s that smell?”

“Oh! My cheesecake!” Rika jumped up from the couch and ran into the kitchen.

“You mean OUR cheesecake,” Axel corrected, following the girl.

“Since when does your brother…cook?” Yuj furrowed his eyebrows as he looked towards Reno.

The redhead shrugged,” He’s changed since [Name] saved him.”

“That reminds me, Riku’s changed too,” Sora said aloud. “He’s been getting alotta headaches lately!”

“So have I,” Vanitas muttered.

“True,” Balthier nodded. “I’ve been giving him medications for it. I think the horror of taking everything in at once with the demons and all got to him—it’s the same for Cloud and you as well Wasurete. Other than that, he like the rest of us is clearly stressed.”

“Who wouldn’t be?” Leon stared at the floor, arms crossed, his figure against the doorframe leading towards the kitchen. “All that’s happened, it’s not even on our, but on [Name]’s shoulders. Sometimes I wonder how she’s able to cope; protecting us and watching numerous other factors in this…war.”