Chapter 22

‘SMACK’ you back cracked against a pile of rubble you were swung into by the chain. Groaning and rolling over, you slipped into the pool of blood. You stood, soaked in the crimson liquid and was jerked forward by the chain again, flying across the area. As you were about to smack against another pile of rubble, you saw a sharp piece of metal sticking out. Summoning your katana, you began sawing at the chain, weakening it. Once it hit the metal, the force caused it to shatter. You tucked your katana between the weakened metal and your wrist and sawed at it once again, before it fell off your wrist completely.

Now, your eyes scanned the blood soaked wreckage around you for the source of the morphed voice. There was nothing in sight, so you cautiously made way towards the dripping noise which got louder at every step closer you took. A large pile of concrete debris now blocked your way and you ran up to it recklessly, jumping at the base, and only pouncing higher after that. Once at the top, you pushed away a few more pieces and slid through the small opening that led to the other side. When losing grip on your unstable foundation, you slipped and fell a few feet into another shallow pool of blood. Getting up, what you saw next shocked you entirely.

Your friends- both old and new- were trapped in large, individual, spheres. They looked unharmed, but each one was paled and slowly weakening in a small pool of their own blood which was dripping from the orbs. Zack was the closest one to you and you ran to him, pounding on the sphere furiously. He was tired, barely standing on one knee, his hand resting on the glass for support.

“Zack, Zack, what’s happening!? How’d you get in there!?” you cried out.

His bright blue eyes were beginning to lose their sparkle and he moved his hand to where yours was,” [Name]… I’m sorry; I couldn’t be your hero,” he managed to get out, then fell to the side, completely lifeless.

“Zack, Zack!!” tears streamed down your cheeks as you helplessly watched the color drain from his face. You wiped your eyes and ran to the next one which had Yuffie in it,” Yuffie!!”

“[Name], hi,” she weakly smiled,” I feel so tired for once.”

“Yuffie stay with me!” She closed her eyes, and paled just as Zack had. The next one had Ven in it, but he had already given up. Most of the others were as well until you heard a shrill scream and ran towards the source.

“ANIKI!!” Hirokiyoshi cried. He was incredibly pale, but somehow, strong enough to yell and pound on the glass sphere. “ANIKI!!” he cried again,” DON’T GIVE UP!!”

You followed his gaze to see Kazuki, his katana in hand. The marks he had made with them in the glass were fading, and he lost his balance, falling in a puddle of blood within the orb. Hiro screamed once more, but his voice suddenly cracked, and he fell to his knees, clutching at his throat, and gasping for air until finally, it was gone. This drove you over the edge, and you violently struck at the clear orb with your katana, only to have it backlash each time.

“[Name]… [Name] over here,” a low voice called, and you searched for who it belonged to in the rows of your dying friends. Cloud was barely holding himself up on his knees with the help of his buster sword.

“Cloud…” your tears fell again and you wiped them away,” Cloud…” you began again, but lost your voice.

“[Name], r-run...”

“I’m not leaving any of you behind!” you yelled, and tried to pierce the sphere.

“Listen to me [Name]! Run, and save yourself,” he inhaled deeply before falling just as the others had.

“Cloud!!”

You fell to your knees, and helplessly looked at your friends. Powerless, Kudan-less, and completely alone, you were at a loss on what to do. The ground began to shake then, and whirl of blood drifted from the floor to the endless darkness above you. It shined for a moment then descended as a hooded figure in all black, perching itself atop a mountain of concrete remains.