Chapter 50

“Go get changed kids! 5 minutes till practice!” Jecht called as everyone ran into the dressing rooms.

Today was Tuesday, and you had your first official blitz practice afterschool. Monday had passed by fairly quickly and was uneventful except for the few boys who had asked if you had a date for the dance yet. Of course you replied no, and turned them down. However, you did promise Zexion the first dance, since he had helped you a bit on Sunday after all. Not many bothered asking you later in the day, especially after Yuffie, Rikku, and Rika had announced to the world you were their ‘date’. Axel, Nero, Zack and a few other guys then got smacked for having dirty post- dance thoughts.

It didn’t take you long to change into your uniform. Rather than a shirt, you wore a white bikini top that you had bought yesterday since you couldn’t exactly be shirtless like the other guys. You tied your hair into a high ponytail before stuffing your things into your P.E locker and walking towards the pool building which was behind the gym.

The building was constructed out of brick like the others and had a gray roof. The entrance was carved from metal and was a pearly white color. It saddened you that you hadn’t even noticed the building itself before since it was incredibly large, but then again, it was blocked from view by the gym. Inside, the floor was black and white checkered tile surrounding a large rectangular pool. Circular lights hung overhead, enlightening the room and the coach who was being helped by his two sons in getting a few balls out from the supply bin. Everyone came in slowly in the shirtless uniform, and you fought hard to try and not stare at their toned bodies.

“Alright! Avengers, assemble!” Jecht motioned for everyone to come over to the end of the pool where he was waiting with Noel and Tidus.

“Didn’t think he was the type to rip lines from movies,” Vaan noted, you giggled at his comment.

“Okay, first game’s on Thursday—”

“But the football game is on Thursday!” Maqui pouted.

“Relax kid we’re skipping out on school that day,” Jecht rolled his eyes. “So I was sayin’, we’re gonna have our first game. Vaan you’re goalie, Tidus, you’re right offense, Vincent you’re left offense, Noctis you’re left defense, Maqui you’re right defense, and [Name] you’re center. Yuj and Noel, you guys are warming the bench. I know I changed it a little, but I needa rotate since last time.”

“I didn’t change though,” you raised your hand. “Neither did Vaan.”

“Yeah, bout that,” he scratched the back of his head in consideration. “I think those will be your permanent places. Vaan’s a good goalie, and [Name] you’re more ruthless then the boy.”

“You’re the one who said not to be to idiotic,” Tidus crossed his arms. “Anyway, let’s blitz!” he grinned and jumped into the pool.

It was amazing to you how well you could hold your breath underwater without stopping to breathe. Even after Maqui had accidently kicked you in the gut, and it took you a second to compose yourself, it was like you hadn’t even been fazed- minus the bruise forming on your midsection. Jecht told you later that was because the pools for blitz had the hydrogen and oxygen pressure at a certain level in order to keep the players alive. All in all, practice went well, and you were sure to beat the opposing team.

As soon as you had just finished changing, you put your wet clothes in your extra duffel bag when you heard and an annoying voice echo throughout the locker room. Sighing, you quickly grabbed your things and tried to avoid the encounter, almost out the door of the hall when Kairi stood in your way. You shoulder checked her, causing her to fall back and hit her head on the closed door as you exited. After that, you thought you were in the clear when you were dragged down to the floor by someone pulling on your hair, which was followed by something sharp cross your right cheek. The warmth of blood slowly trickled out.