Chapter 57

You yawned and stretched, attempting to roll over on wherever you had slept when instead, your body came into contact with the floor- sadly, face first as well. Groaning, you sat up and rubbed your eyes, finding yourself in the safety of your room. The dress from last night was wrinkled and your hair was just a mess. You glanced at the clock groggily to see that it was 4:20AM. ‘Sleeping so late and waking up only a few hours later are seriously gonna mess with my powers,’ you thought as you stood.

Slowly and silently, you tiptoed out of your room and down the hall towards the bathroom where you went through your usual morning routine. When you finished with that, you sauntered back to your room and put on a loose off the shoulders black shirt over a white undershirt and ripped gray skinny jeans before leaving the dress on a hanger in the closet and making a mental note that you’d ask Fai if there was a certain way to washing it.

Speaking of mental notes, you suddenly remembered the letter from Rei’s present. Opening the drawer, you pulled the small box. Beneath the top, you carefully slid out the envelope which was sealed and tucked into the creases- the front holding your name in his perfect calligraphic writing. Inside, there were 3 papers neatly folded and written in kanji, the edges a little ripped here and there. You then made your way to the balcony where you sat on the railing, waiting for sunrise- looking at the backyard which held no trace of a party ever being there. With a deep breath, you read, his suave voice saying the words in your mind:

My Dearest [Name],

If someone were to ask me so many years ago if true love ever existed, I would’ve told them they were crazy, and no such a thing walks on this cold Earth. During that time, I was an eight year old child- too bound up over being taken away from his parents that nothing but rage and sadness coursed through my small body. Now, if someone were to ask me the same question, I- without a doubt- would say yes.

I would then describe the girl who was raised to be a supposed emotionless killer. The girl who- after she had taken out a target- cried for hours later, calling herself a monster, a fiend- regardless of whether or not that person was evil. In reality, she herself had the kindest nature and purest soul of any human being to ever exist. This made me question… was she really human? Or was she an angel, or a goddess who saves people without her own apprehension?

I now understand why she urged me to speak with her- she was cleansing me of all darkness that had plagued my mind. If only others would listen to the vast, benevolent words that escaped her soft lips, then maybe the world would see truth to life. However, that is not the case.

With [color] eyes as sparkling and innocent as a newborn child, and hair that is the perfect shade of a sunlight-tinted [color], I watch from near and afar as this beauty fights life’s predicaments with all her might and will- nothing but a katana in her delicate hands. I admire her, I adore her, I even fear… I fear that one day, I shall awaken and she will be gone; or one day, I shall disappoint her in such a way, she’ll be pierced with nothing but sadness and hurt. Rather, allow me to say, I have helplessly fallen for this girl.

[Name], words are cheap and weak compared to actions, and I know your birthday is at least 3 years away when I write this, but I hope you accept the feelings I have said. I can’t bring myself to tell you in person- forgive me, for I’m afraid of rejection from someone who holds my heart so tenderly. I know that if any of us were to become monsters as you call it, I would be the one; what would set me free is hearing your voice- that’s all I need.

If I am ever impotent to complete the task of protecting you, or making you happy, then without hesitation, I would give your hand to the next man who deserves you and who your heart yearns for- for he surely has something I lack. Knowing this, my princess, if I have failed you, please go to him, for he needs you just as I do. Happy birthday [Name], don’t ever change. I love you.