Chapter 36

“Tell me,” you urged angrily. But nobody spoke; they kept giving each other unsure looks. When you were about to open your mouth to speak again, the main door swung open and Wasurete burst through it- out of breath with bloodshot eyes which were scanning the tension between  Kurogane, Fai and you.

“So,” he huffed,” You didn’t tell her?”

“We did,” Kurogane said through clenched teeth,” We told her about us doing horribly on the exams.”

“Kurogane-san!”

“Don’t lie to me!” you yelled, then grabbed Wasurete’s wrist and made him face you. “What are they hiding? Tell me!”

“If you’re going to yell at us about not telling her yet, do it yourself!” Kurogane growled,” See how hard it is!”

“Calm down Kurogane,” Fai hissed.

“[Name],” Wasurete began with a pained expression,” The…,” he took a deep breath,” The… Damn, I can’t do this to her!” he ran a hand through his hair.

“See!” Kurogane pointed a finger,” Not easy now is it!?”

“Fine I’ll find out myself!” you huffed and turned to go back upstairs when Fai jumped over the couch and stopped you.

“[Name]-chan, it’s just so… complicated,” he said, gently turning you back around.

“I can handle it though,” you pled.

Fai sighed and turned to them,” She’ll find out either way.” They nodded and he turned back to you,” [Name], listen to what I say carefully. The test results came back and… You’re positive for Geostigma.”

You gasped,” W-What?”

Kurogane nodded and came beside you as well,” Balthier will give us the papers tomorrow, but he said they were so severe that right now… you should be dead,” he wiped his eyes.

“That can’t be! He didn’t tell me that!” Wasurete interrupted.

“Maybe because you’re so emotional!” Kurogane barked back.

“They do have a cure though r-right?” you asked in a low voice.

“That’s the thing [Name],” Fai looked away,” Since you should be dead- gone. The cure won’t help you- it’s just a shot for when the disease is in its middle stages or earlier.”

“I don’t… understand then,” you mumbled,” Why am I still here?”

“Because you’re not supposed to die,” Wasurete grumbled,” You CAN’T die.”

“I….,” you sniffled, finding tears falling down your cheeks,” I need to be alone.” You sped to the door and slipped your shoes on, fleeing outside.

After you had turned the corner, you slowed to a fast walk and tried to control your breathing. You had Geostigma. The thoughts of death clouded your head like a horrible fog. Something stopped you then, and you finally noticed Kazuki was holding your wrist.

“[Name],” he and the others, were looking at you with worry.

Hanashiteyo!!” you jerked your hand back and turned to walk away again.

Kazuki forced you back around,” Not until you answer me! What’s-” You cut him off and kicked him in the shin. He let you go and crouched in pain, lifting his pant leg to reveal that a mark was already beginning to form.

Everyone gasped and Dante held you back this time,” Babe, calm down. Just tell us-” he was cut off by your fist hitting him straight in the face. “Shit! What the hell [Name]!?” While they were distracted, you quickly ran off from them, zigzagging your direction. ‘Dante, Kazuki, I hope you’ll forgive me for that.’